Insurance Litigation & Coverage
Jim Isbell has extensive experience in civil litigation handling complex claims relating to insurance issues. As part of his practice, Jim regularly handles insurance coverage questions and disputes, providing opinions on issues relating to the policies; which includes addressing policies that provide primary, excess and umbrella coverages. While the types of policies are varied, they include: general liability, environmental pollution, builders risk, E&O, and involved personal lines policies, among others.
Jim has handled and tried both first-party and third-party claims, along with bad-faith suits. A number of the disputes and litigation have also included conflicts involving brokers, agents, managing general agents and premium finance companies. Recognizing the transient nature of claims, the reach of the activities of the insureds and issues involving the issuance of the policies, Jim has litigated claims all over the country. He is also a frequent speaker on insurance and bad faith issues, having spoken at presentations across the United States and also in other countries.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance agent/broker of a national insurance carrier involving alleged negligence, forgery and misrepresentation claims, including claims for bad faith and breach of contract, relating to the issuance and denial of payments pursuant to a life insurance policy.
- Defended a Fortune 50 company for insurance coverage and bad faith claims associated with policies alleged to provide coverage for multiple class action and multi-district suits across the United States.
- Defended and obtained a judgment of no liability or bad faith for a Fortune 50 company with respect to coverage for an alleged product liability case involving property damage claims associated with the failure of the equipment to perform as marketed.
- Represented a Fortune 50 insurance company with respect to a coverage dispute with another insurance company over duty to defend and duty to pay for a multi-million dollar settlement involving multiple deaths.
- Defended a Fortune 50 company sued for insurance coverage and bad faith claims arising from policies issued to an international pharmaceutical company with respect to suits relating to thousands of product liability claims across the United States.
- Represented a Fortune 50 company relating to insurance coverage for intellectual property claims against a national company, associated with trademark and copyright issues.
- Represented a large insurance company with respect to claims of misrepresentation in the application process and coverage disputes arising from a liability policy for a large engineering company, which had been sued for the wrongful death associated with an electrocution.
- Represented insurance company with respect to questions involving coverage, co-insurance, ranking of policies, and allocation, relating to a construction accident with claims being made against the general contractor and sub-contractors.
- Represented Fortune 50 insurance company with respect to questions involving coverage, co-insurance, and allocation, relating to a construction defect with claims being made against the owner, general contractor and sub-contractors.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company with respect to claims between national and international companies and insurance companies, involving a dispute over a large release of chemicals at a plant, injuring many of the owner’s and sub-contractor’s employees.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company with respect to coverage and bad faith claims and the associated dispute with the excess carrier.
- Represented excess carrier in dispute with primary carrier over coverage, claims handling and allocation disputes, arising from an assault at a convenience store in the Rio Grande Valley.