Kevin is an experienced general litigation attorney representing businesses and insurance companies throughout the U.S. in defending against general liability and employment claims and lawsuits.
Labor & Employment (Counseling & Litigation) – In addition to his litigation practice, Kevin is the go-to HR attorney for many businesses, counseling them on handling HR compliance and working with them to devise strategies in handling workplace issues. As an MSBA Board Certified Labor & Employment Law Specialist, he has successfully represented and counseled hundreds of businesses on all aspects of HR. From litigation avoidance strategies to non-compete enforcement and defense, to executive contracts and severance agreements, to developing a strategy for layoffs and immigration compliance, Kevin works with businesses to address all of their HR legal needs.
General Liability (Litigation) -- Kevin additionally represents businesses and insurance companies to defend against general liability matters arising from, automobile, construction defect, and accident claims involving property damage or premises liability, personal injury, and wrongful death. He has served as national litigation counsel for Fortune 500 and 1000 companies alike.
- Kevin has represented companies in hundreds of state and federal lawsuits and administrative investigations.
- Obtained summary judgment in cases in multiple industries from construction defect to employment law.
- More than a hundred successful mediations for insurance carriers and corporate defendants.
- Successfully represented and advocated for companies throughout the U.S. before various federal agencies, including EEOC, ICE, DOL, NLRB and many state agencies.
- Successfully advised businesses on thousands of complicated HR legal issues, such as harassment investigations, mass layoffs, terminations, and contract interpretation, without litigation ensuring for the businesses.
- Successfully written hundreds of HR related legal agreements without legal challenge, including severance agreements, contracts, settlement agreements, non-competes, non-solicitations, employment agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Successfully obtained dozens of visas for businesses for key employees (example: B, H-1B, L, O, P, and TN visas).
- Successfully obtained several green cards for businesses for key employees.
- Founder of Thompson Coe’s myHRgenius program.
- Manages Thompson Coe's monthly Labor & Employment webinar series – HR Best Practices.
- Frequent public speaker.
- Trains businesses across the U.S. on various compliance topics from #MeToo to Supervisor Performance Review Strategies to Hiring & Firing topics.
- Hamline University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Hamline Law Review, Managing Editor
- CALI Award - International Law
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.S., 1997)
- Supreme Court, Minnesota
- Federal District Court, Minnesota
- Federal District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Federal District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- Federal District Court, Central District of Illinois
Professional and Community Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association-Member, Labor & Employment and Immigration Law Sections
- Ramsey County Bar Association
Speeches and Presentations
- May 2018 - Willis Towers Watson Total Rewards Conference (MN) – Employment Law Update
- October 2018 – GovDocs – Don’t let #MeToo become #YouToo
- February 2019 – Paylocity Quarterly Employment Law Roundtable – Trumping HR in 2019
- Multiple dates in 2016 - Association of Legal Administrators, Changes are in the Air: Understanding the DOL's New Rules pm Salaries, Independent Contractors
- December 17, 2015 – Club E, St. Paul, MN. What HR Changes to Expect in 2016
- April 16, 2015 - Ninth Annual Labor and Employment Seminar, Dallas, TX: Immigration Update/Impact of the President’s Executive Orders
- April 16, 2015 - Ninth Annual Labor and Employment Seminar, Dallas, TX: Strategies for the Employers Dealing With the Undocumented Worker Dilemma
- March 19, 2015 - HFTP Midwest Regional Conference, Detroit, MI
- May 21, 2014 - Association of Legal Administrators, Toronto - Staying HR Savvy: U.S. Employment & Labor Law Update
- April 9, 2014 - Ramsey County Bar Association - Advising Small Businesses: Independent Contractor vs. Employee Status
- May 2013 - Minnesota State Bar Association - Contract Principles
- December 18, 2013 - Minnesota State Bar Association - Immigration Law for Employment Attorneys
- Authors weekly HR Tip of the Week column for the Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce
- MSBA Certified Labor & Employment Law Specialist, 2011-present
- MSBA Immigration Section Board of Directors, 2012-2013
Author: "The Effects of Globalization and Practical Aspects of Hiring Foreign Workers" published in "Employing International Workers" (Aspatore Books)