Ken Tapscott has 22 years of civil litigation experience in the areas of personal injury, premises liability, toxic torts, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, Deceptive Trade Practice Act, securities litigation, insurance/coverage litigation, real estate/landlord-tenant, and professional malpractice (legal, medical, etc.).
From 2007-2018, Ken served as Judge of Dallas County Court at Law #4, a civil court with unlimited monetary jurisdiction. During his twelve-year service as Judge, he delivered more than 425 cases to jury verdict and decided more than 1500 non-jury trials, more than any other civil district or county court at law judge in Dallas County during that time period. As a judge his performance was regularly reviewed by the Dallas Bar Association, and he was consistently rated one of the best judges in Dallas County for his temperament, impartiality, preparation, speed of decision-making, and knowledge of the law. He provides clients an honest assessment of their case and strong prosecution of any claim or defense that is needed.
Significant “Affirmed” Decisions from the 5th District Court of Appeals:
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., 1995)
- University of Alabama-Huntsville (B.S., 1992)
- Business Administration
- Magna Cum Laude
- Texas, 1997
- Indiana, 1997
- Alabama, 1995
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Dallas Bar Association, 1997-Present
- Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity, Volunteer, 2005-Present
- Dallas Bar Association High School Mock Trial Competition, Volunteer, 2007-2018
- Annual volunteer for Dallas Bar Association and Habitat for Humanity Annual Build.
- 2014 Judge Merrill Hartman Support Award Winner from Dallas Bar Association for consistent service with Habitat for Humanity.
- “Core” Volunteer 2006-2011 (minimum 12 Saturdays per year), and annual volunteer 2012-present.
- Courthouse Committee Co-Chair, 2009
Speeches and Presentations
- Ten Tips (actually more) for Being a Better Litigator. 2017 presentation to Dallas Area Young Lawyers at monthly “Coffee with the Court.”
- Trial Tips from the Bench. 1/11/17 Dallas Bar Association presentation with Judges Moye and Parker. Moderated by Judge Greenberg.
- Judge’s Panel at Texas Trial Lawyers Car Wreck Seminar. October 6, 2016 panel discussion with Judges Ken Molberg and Bonnie Goldstein. Moderated by Jason Franklin.
- How to Better Litigate the Routine Car Wreck Case. Advanced Personal Injury Law Course, 2015, Texas Bar CLE. Panel discussion with Jim Cole and Mark Stradley.
- New Local and State Rules from 2013 and 2014: An Update and Traps for the Unwary! March 6, 2014 presentation and panel discussion at Dallas Bar Association with Judge Martin Hoffman and Robert Tobey, moderator.
- New Rules in Texas Civil Litigation CLE. February 17, 2014 panel discussion at Dallas Bar Association with Judge Martin Hoffman and panelist Monica Latin. Moderated by Elizabeth Wilson. Hosted by DAABA, DHBA, JLTLA, and DAYL.
- New Rules of Texas Civil Procedure. March 13, 2013 presentation hosted by Wilson Elser firm. Panelists with Chase Deits and Bill Akins.
- New Civil Rules Are On The Way and Lawyers and Judges Need to Know Their Impact. February 7, 2013 panel discussion with Judge Martin Hoffman, Keith O’Connell, Bryan Pope, and Robert Tobey concerning proposed 2013 civil rules of procedure.
- What’s New and Different in the State Courts: Don’t Go To Court Without These Tips. September 2012 panel presentation at Dallas Bar Association Bench/Bar Retreat with Judges Tena Callahan, Tonya Parker, and John Creuzot.
- Consumer and Commercial Law Course. August 16, 2012 Texas Bar CLE judicial panel with Judges Craig Smith and Tonya Parker. Moderated by Caren Locke.
- The Proposed Rules on Expedited Trial and Motions to Dismiss. June 7, 2012 panel discussion at Dallas Bar Association with Judges Carlos Cortez and Gena Slaughter, along with panelists Dan Worthington, Quentin Brogdon, and Jerry Fazio (moderator).
- Advanced Personal Injury Course 2011. July 8, 2011 presentation/panel discussion on “The Plaintiff: The Most Neglected Witness” with Carmen Mitchell and Thomas Fee.
- Conversation with Judges Ken Tapscott and Jim Jordan. April 7, 2011 panel discussion hosted/moderated by Sean Hamada (Judiciary Committee of Dallas Bar Association) regarding court practices and successful trial strategies.
- Civil Procedure: A View From the Bench. February 26, 2009 Lorman Educational CLE with panelists/Judges Cortez, Curry, Hoffman and Montgomery.
- Hot Topics in Personal Injury and Insurance Litigation. September 2008 panel discussion at Dallas Bar Association Bench/Bar Retreat.
- Successful Strategies for New Lawyers. September 4, 2008 panel discussion with Judge Royal Ferguson and Justices Catharina Haynes and Carolyn Wright.
- What Civil Court Judges Want You to Know. January 25, 2008 National Business Institute CLE with panelists/ Judges Ashby, Montgomery, Raggio, Murphy, Cortez, and Hoffman.
- Practices and Procedures of Dallas County Judges. July 25, 2007 panel discussion at Belo/Dallas Bar Association with Judges Carlos Cortez, Gena Slaughter, and King Fifer.
- Reviewed by the Dallas Bar Association in 2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017 as one of the Best Civil Judges in Dallas County. The results of the polls may be found at http://www.dallasbar.org/judiciary.