Tasha Barnes has defended hundreds of catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases involving significant exposure over the past twenty years. She focuses on personal injury litigation and professional negligence cases, primarily representing construction companies, business owners and health care providers. Her health care experience includes defending a Level 1 Trauma Center and teaching hospital, nurses, physicians, dentists, pharmacies, emergency medical service providers, medical spas and radiology clinics. Her cases range the gamut from alleged failure to timely diagnose cancer, failure to inform a patient of key lab results, improper emergent care, improper pre-natal care to minor burns from a laser. Additionally, her practice includes products liability including medical device litigation, premises liability, liquor liability including fraternities, bars and restaurants, recreational liability including health clubs and adventure sports, as well as claims against non-subscribing employers.
Tasha’s approach to litigation focuses on efficient and cost-effective resolutions to cases either through early settlement or dispositive motion. Through early case evaluations and attempts at resolution, she seeks to minimize costs and promote the best interests of the client. Most recently, Tasha favorably settled a medical malpractice case prior to taking any depositions through informal, cooperative discovery.
In 2011, the Texas Supreme Court affirmed a summary judgment motion authored by Tasha in Foreman v. Allen Keller Co. This opinion represents a significant change in Texas law concerning the duty of a construction contractor. Another summary judgment she authored was affirmed by the Third Court of Appeals in 2011, and is significant with respect to insurance in the construction industry. In 2017, Tasha tried two personal injury jury trials in Travis County and obtained complete defense verdicts in both cases. Both cases involved the construction industry, one involving a construction accident and the other involving a motor vehicle collision with a street sweeper.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of commercial mechanic in catastrophic injury case involving a crush injury to an operator of a bucket lift.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of construction company for an admitted collision between a street sweeper and a parked car.
- Authored summary judgment resulting in dismissal for international construction company in a traumatic brain injury case.
- Tried and obtained defense verdict in favor of pharmacy in wrongful death case.
- Successfully resolved complex, wrongful death case arising from alleged negligent emergency room care.
- Handled defense of medical device case resulting in defense verdict on behalf of one of America’s largest manufacturers of healthcare supplies.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of health care clinic based upon Plaintiff’s failure to provide an adequate expert report.
- Successfully resolved radiology case involving alleged failure to timely diagnose pediatric cancer.
- Defended manufacturer of catheter in neuroradiology case involving alleged negligent treatment of aneurysm with catastrophic brain injury.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for private school and teacher involved in burn injury case arising from chemistry experiment.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a college fraternity in sexual assault and dram shop case.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national health club chain by enforcing a pre-injury release of liability.
- Resolved a wrongful death suit on behalf of an construction company arising from a major natural gas explosion in Austin, Texas.
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict for premises owner/construction company in a trucking accident at a gravel pit.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in severe burn injury case on behalf of non-subscribing employer.
- Obtained take-nothing judgment in wrongful death products liability case in which jury awarded damages against Co-Defendant for 17 million dollars.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in double-fatality products liability action involving allegedly defective wheel.
- Defended national motor carrier in triple-fatality trucking accident case.
- Won dispositive motion in favor of large commercial construction company in case involving construction worker who fell 25 feet sustaining significant injury.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of health care provider in labor and delivery case with alleged cerebral palsy and claimed economic damages in excess of $25M
- University of Oklahoma (J.D., cum laude, 1996)
- Order of the Coif
- Oklahoma State University (B.S., cum laude, 1993)
- Journalism and Broadcasting
- Texas, 1996
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Chair of Trial Academy 2011
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, District Director 2005-2007
Speeches and Presentations
- H.B. 1869: The Impact of the Subrogation Reform Bill Upon Third-Party Liability Claims
- Texas Super Lawyers – Texas Rising Star, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008