Todd Donohue represents clients in catastrophic injury/wrongful death claims, employment litigation, complex commercial litigation and lawsuits involving products and premises liability. As a seasoned litigator, Todd has wide-ranging experience in both state and federal courts. This experience provides a base from which he advises and represents clients across many business sectors. His philosophy on litigation is to plan proactively and take steps to increase his client’s opportunity for success and when appropriate use the advantages obtained to reach a favorable resolution. His approach is holistic and keeps in mind the relationship between courtroom success and practical solutions that lead to overall real-world success.
Todd has litigated on behalf of individuals and companies from across the country in the construction, medical technology, restaurant franchising, energy, entertainment, insurance and various other industries.
Investigated and spearheaded OSHA interactions/response and defended actions involving major commercial insurer and major self-insured construction company in fatality and substantial injury cases. Representative engagements:
- Fatality accident involving pressurized pipe explosion during hospital construction project
- Severe injuries sustained in boating accident where plaintiff alleged product defects in watercraft’s steering and acceleration mechanism
- Execution and drowning of a minor related to allegedly defective wiring of boat dock at resort property
- Fatal crush injury in stockpile area of asphalt plant
- Numerous construction zone and construction vehicle accidents where immediate action was required to engage accident re-constructionist to document vehicles and scene and conduct interviews of employees involved
- Employee of horizontal drilling company sustained purported severe hand injury while attempting to fix horizontal drilling equipment
- Surveyor electrocution resulting from equipment contact with overhead power lines due to wind gusts
- Fatality resulting from 10-story fall inside shaft of west Texas wind turbine
- Fatal crush injury as a result of improper lift operation at a new high school construction site
- Fatal fall injury from make-shift scaffolding at new high school construction site
- Claims involving property damage resulting from fire suppression systems that suffered catastrophic damage as a result of sustained freezing temperatures
Represented writer of code for software that is the support system for debit card, credit card and ACH transactions nationally against employer in copyright action and dispute over software ownership. Client retained ownership of his code and software.
Represented an internationally-known TV and radio personality and social issues commentator in contract dispute with former agent involving payments of commissions.
Represented a co-host of nationally-syndicated radio show in contract dispute with agent related to commissions and salary impact of COVID-19.
Represented a former employee of global company responsible for manufacture of copiers, scanners and cameras in fraud and breach of contract action related to payment of commissions due as a result of overhaul of business development framework by client.
Represented convenience store client in premises liability and negligence action stemming from a criminal attack wherein plaintiff was doused with gasoline from store pumps and then set on fire. Case resolved through favorable settlement.
Successfully represented Dallas/Fort Worth area hotel in a premises liability and negligence action arising out of sexual assault.
Successfully represented national restaurant chain in premises liability and insufficient security action arising from carjacking and robbery that took place on premises.
Successfully represented two members of medical software partnership in business divorce. Clients retained stake in entity and negotiated amicable departure terms for third member.
Successfully represented two individuals and company in non-compete dispute against former employer in the business of rescuing financially-stressed entities. The matter was a highly contentious dispute over a Rule 202 Petition. Individuals were protected from giving pre-suit depositions and matter was abandoned by potential plaintiff after deposition of corporate representative.
Education, Admissions & Activities
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law
Southern Methodist Law Review Association, Symposium Editor
Order of the Coif
Phi Delta Phi
Texas A&M University
B.B.A , 1996
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court of Texas
Northern, Southern, Eastern
Professional and Community Activities
Forney High School Cross Country Boosters
Forney High School Cheer Booster
Dallas County District Attorney through Lawyers on Loan Program