Daniel Buechler is a trial lawyer with a diverse litigation practice focused on the representation of insurance carriers in all aspects of contractual and extra-contractual litigation. Daniel also devotes a significant portion of his practice to the defense of companies from a wide range of industries in lawsuits involving serious personal injuries, death and catastrophic property damage.
Daniel has extensive experience investigating, litigating, and resolving first-party property claims and other coverage disputes involving commercial and personal lines insurance products. Daniel regularly serves as lead counsel in first-party lawsuits involving claims for breach of contract, bad faith, fraud, and violation of other extra-contractual statutory duties, and he also regularly represents insurers in appraisals and in third-party disputes involving coverage, bad faith and Stowers issues.
In addition, Daniel regularly represents property owners, developers, and management companies against a wide variety of premises liability and environmental claims. Daniel has also represented numerous clients in product liability, construction defect, and automobile/trucking lawsuits in state and federal courts.
- Obtained directed verdict for homeowner association following jury trial of claims for fraud and conspiracy.
- Successfully represented apartment complex and management company in jury trial of premises liability claims.
- Obtained directed verdict for property insurer following jury trial of claims for breach of contract and bad faith.
- Represented oil refinery in lawsuit against contractor for property damages and lost profits in excess of $19,000,000.
- Successfully represented UM/UIM carriers in multiple jury trials involving claims for personal injuries, property damage, and lost wages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial property insurer in lawsuit seeking to set aside appraisal award and extra-contractual damages.
- Obtained favorable rulings in relation to various plaintiffs’ motions to remand based upon the fraudulent joinder of a state, resident insurance adjuster.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of property insurance carrier based on the insured’s failure to segregate covered damages from excluded damages.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments on behalf of property owners in premises liability claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for trucking company in lawsuit involving claims arising from fatal accident.
- Obtained summary judgment for foreign water drilling company in lawsuit regarding construction of well head.
- Represented Fortune 200 commercial insurance carrier in dozens of lawsuits arising from Hurricane Ike claims.
- Represented numerous commercial property carriers in a wide range of coverage property disputes.
- Represented D & O carrier in complex, multi-party coverage lawsuit.
- Represented manufacturer of automatic door components in premises liability and products liability lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment for foreign trucking company in complex, multi-party personal injury lawsuit in East Texas.
- Argued appeal of personal auto coverage issue before the Fifth Court of Appeals.
- Represented insurance carrier in federal class action lawsuit alleging violations of Federal privacy law.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of property insurer in declaratory judgment action involving the application of the made whole doctrine.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of automobile insurer on claims involving breach of contract, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, and discriminatory practices.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of E & O carrier in declaratory judgment action involving legal malpractice coverage issue.
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- Texas International Law Journal, Associate Editor
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1999)
- Normandy Scholar
- College Scholar
- Oklahoma, 2016
- Texas, 2005
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Professional and Community Activities
- Adjunct professor of business law at the University of Texas at Dallas
- Tort and Insurance Section of Texas State Bar
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- DRI (Defense Research Institute)
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers- Co-chair Law Student Assistance Committee
- American Bar Association
- Volunteer - Shared Housing Center, Inc.
- United States Peace Corps - Mali, West Africa, 1999-2001 (small enterprise development and micro-finance specialist)
Speeches and Presentations
- "Legal Perspective for Defending Weather-Related Property Claims in Texas", Advanced Insurance Presentation, New York, NY, October 27, 2015
- "Stowers Update – The Duty to Settle in Texas", Advanced Insurance Presentation, October 9, 2015
- "The Legal Perspective for Defending Weather Related Property Insurance Claims in Texas", Thompson Coe Webinar, September 9, 2014; Client Presentation, October 22, 2014
- "Defining, Defending and Disposing of Frivolous Lawsuits", Thompson Coe's Texas Litigation Update, October 9, 2014
- "Evaluation and Defense of Commercial Roof Claims", Advanced Insurance Presentation, New York, NY, May 30, 2014
- "Landowner Liability (Premises Liability) Under Texas Law", Advanced Insurance Presentation, New York, NY, May 30, 2014
- "Burden of Roof - Evaluation and Defense of Commercial Roof Claims" for Thompson Coe's 12th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 17, 2013
- "We Just Dropped In to See What Condition Our Conditions Were In" for Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- Named a 2013 - 2016 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine