Daniel Buechler is an experienced trial lawyer with a diverse litigation practice focused on the representation of insurance carriers and their insureds.
Daniel has extensive experience investigating, litigating, and resolving coverage and valuation disputes involving commercial property insurance products. Daniel regularly assists carriers in the investigation and evaluation of complex commercial property insurance claims, and he has served as lead counsel in hundreds of first-party lawsuits involving claims for breach of contract, bad faith, and violation of extra-contractual statutory duties. Daniel also regularly assists insurers with appraisals and provides guidance to carriers in the third-party context regarding duties arising under the Stowers doctrine.
In addition, Daniel devotes a significant portion of his practice to the defense of companies from a wide range of industries in lawsuits involving serious personal injuries, death, and catastrophic property damage. Daniel regularly serves as lead trial counsel in the defense of trucking and transportation companies, construction contractors, heavy equipment operators, oil and gas companies, product manufacturers, restaurants and bars, and property management companies against a wide variety of personal injury, property damage, and environmental claims. Daniel is also regularly retained by excess insurers to represent the carrier directly or affiliate with existing defense counsel.
- Obtained favorable verdict as lead trial counsel for commercial property insurance carrier following a jury trial of contractual and extra-contractual claims arising from the application of policy exclusions.
- Lead trial counsel for a trucking company in a trial involving claims for permanent traumatic brain injuries and orthopedic injuries.
- Lead trial counsel for product manufacturer in a trial involving claims arising from a workplace accident.
- Obtained directed verdict for property insurer following a jury trial of claims for breach of contract and bad faith.
- Represented oil refinery in a lawsuit against a contractor for property damages and lost profits in excess of $19,000,000.
- Represented numerous oilfield services contractors in lawsuits arising from workplace fatalities and serious injuries.
- Represented numerous restaurants and bars in dram shop actions and premises liability claims arising from accidents involving serious injuries and deaths.
- Represented numerous trucking and transportation companies in lawsuits arising from accidents involving serious personal injuries and deaths.
- Represented firearms manufacturers, sports equipment manufacturers, and automotive part manufacturers in product liability claims.
- Obtained directed verdict as lead trial counsel for homeowner association following a jury trial of claims for fraud and conspiracy.
- Successfully represented apartment complex and management company as lead counsel in jury trial of premises liability claims.
- Successfully represented UM/UIM carriers in multiple jury trials involving claims for personal injuries, property damage, and lost wages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial property insurer in a lawsuit by policyholder seeking to set aside appraisal award and extra-contractual damages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of property insurance carrier based on the insured’s failure to segregate covered damages from excluded damages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of general contractor in claims arising from a fatal workplace accident.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments on behalf of property owners in premises liability claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for a trucking company in a lawsuit involving claims arising from fatal, multi-vehicle accident.
- Obtained summary judgment for a foreign water drilling company in a lawsuit regarding the construction of a wellhead.
- Represented D & O carrier in complex, multi-party coverage lawsuit.
- Represented insurance carrier in a federal class-action lawsuit alleging violations of federal privacy law.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of property insurer in declaratory judgment action involving the application of the made whole doctrine.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of automobile insurer on claims involving breach of contract, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, and discriminatory practices.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of E & O carrier in declaratory judgment action involving legal malpractice coverage issue.
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- Texas International Law Journal, Associate Editor
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1999)
- Normandy Scholar
- College Scholar
- Oklahoma, 2016
- Texas, 2005
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
Professional and Community Activities
- Tort and Insurance Section of Texas State Bar
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- DRI (Defense Research Institute)
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Former adjunct professor of business law at the University of Texas at Dallas
- Former Board member - Shared Housing Center, Inc.
- Returned Volunteer - United States Peace Corps - Mali, West Africa, 1999-2001
Speeches and Presentations
- “COVID 19 Claims Update: A Year in Review and a Look Ahead for 2021,” Advanced Insurance Presentation, March 2021
- "Texas Property Insurance Law Update," Thompson Coe Webinar, July 21, 2020
- 2016 Texas Property Insurance Update: Hail and Windstorm First Party Property Claims,” The University of Texas School of Law 21st Annual Insurance Law Institute, Houston, Texas, November 11, 2016
- "Legal Perspective for Defending Weather-Related Property Claims in Texas", Advanced Insurance Presentation, New York, NY, October 27, 2015
- "Stowers Update – The Duty to Settle in Texas", Advanced Insurance Presentation, March 31, 2020
- "The Legal Perspective for Defending Weather-Related Property Insurance Claims in Texas", Thompson Coe Webinar, September 9, 2014; Client Presentation, October 22, 2014
- "Defining, Defending and Disposing of Frivolous Lawsuits", Thompson Coe's Texas Litigation Update, October 9, 2014
- "Evaluation and Defense of Commercial Roof Claims", Advanced Insurance Presentation, New York, NY, May 30, 2014
- "Landowner Liability (Premises Liability) Under Texas Law", Advanced Insurance Presentation, New York, NY, May 30, 2014
- "Burden of Roof - Evaluation, and Defense of Commercial Roof Claims" for Thompson Coe's 12th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 17, 2013
- "We Just Dropped In to See What Condition Our Conditions Were In" for Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- Named to Texas Super Lawyers® - Rising Star list, a Thompson Reuters Business, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Implications of Anti-Concurrent Causation Clauses in Gulf Coast Hurricane Claims. June 2009
- Coverage News: Volume 7, Issue 1. January 2007
- Court Confirms Akin Not Limited to UM. October 2005