Jason Yacuk maintains an active litigation and insurance coverage practice related to premises liability, transportation, professional liability, environmental and toxic claims, products liability, construction/construction defects, and insurance questions.
Jason represents individuals and companies by litigating tort claims in a variety of different industries. He maintains an active practice in bodily injury and mass tort litigation arising from premises liability, transportation accidents, product failure, oilfield accidents, toxic exposures, environmental claims, and toxicant remediation. He frequently represents clients relating to trucking and transportation litigation, including claims asserted under the Texas Dram Shop Act, Jones Act claims, and FELA / railroad claims. He also handles claims involving the construction and operation of buildings, plants, and industrial facilities. Jason handles both first-party and third-party claims, including bad faith and professional liability. He is a frequent speaker on insurance and tort related topics.
- Defended premises liability claims against an apartment complex where an alleged dangerous condition existed.
- Defended local and regional transportation companies in wrongful death and serious bodily injury claims.
- Obtained summary judgment for local insurance agents against negligence, deceptive trade practices, misrepresentation, and breach of contract allegations flowing from procurement and cancellation of insurance policies.
- Defended a local nightclub against claims of negligence for an assault and homicide that occurred on its premises.
- Defendant a local real estate broker against negligence claims associated with the sale of real property.
- Defended a construction company in a case involving several fatalities that occurred during a trench collapse, and pursued claims on behalf of the construction company for contractual indemnity and additional insurance coverage from other responsible parties.
- Defended a distributor of latex products in products liability litigation, and litigated contractual indemnity and additional insured coverage issues after the conclusion of the underlying litigation.
- Defended a construction company against claims of bodily injuries that allegedly occurred regarding equipment failure.
- Obtained summary judgment on premises liability claims based on defenses under Chapter 95 of the Texas Civil Practices and Remedies Code.
- Defended a local insurance agent and broker against negligence and breach of fiduciary duty allegations.
- South Texas College of Law (J.D., 2000)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Langdell Scholar
- University of Houston (B.S., cum laude, 1997)
- Psi Chi
- Texas, 2000
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas (Insurance Law Section)
- Defense Research Institute, member of the insurance law, toxic torts and environmental law, and construction law committees
- Houston Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
Speeches and Presentations
- "Damage Control: Understanding and Limiting Damages in Texas,” Thompson Coe Webinar, December 17, 2019
- Legislative and Tort Update: Recent Developments in Texas Tort Law- Ninth Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, May 4, 2016
- 2014 Tort and Legislative Update,Seventh Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2014
- Tort Law Update, 2014 Essentials Workshop for Attorneys & Experts, Houston Chapter of the Forensic Expert Witness Association, May 2014
- Tort and Legislative Update: Recent Developments in Texas Tort Law, Fifth Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2012
- 2011 Tort and Legislative Update, Fourth Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2011
- Tort Law Update: Recent Developments in Texas Tort Law, Third Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2010
- 5 Things to Know about Risk Shifting Provisions in Contractor Agreements, American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Website Article, Spring 2009
- Duty to Defend, Including Reservation of Rights, Denial of Coverage, and Declaratory Judgments (speaker and co-author), Advanced Insurance and Tort Claims Seminar, University of Houston Law Foundation, Summer 2009
- Stowers Today: Settlement Demands and Settlement Responses - Multiple Layers, Crossovers, Etc., Advanced Personal Injury Seminar, University of Houston Law Foundation, 2008
- “Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire” Misrepresentations and their Effects on the Insurer/Insured Relationship, Insurance Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., November 2007
- Settlement Demands, and Settlement Responses - Including the Impact of Frank’s Casing, Advanced Insurance and Tort Claims Seminar, University of Houston Law Foundation, 2007
- Not So Easy a "Caveman" Can Do It: An Insurer's Duties Under Stowers and Related Statutes, (co-author), Texas Insurance Law Update, January 2007