Jim Isbell maintains an active litigation practice handling claims relating to the construction and construction defect fields. Having started practicing with a firm that was heavily involved in representing companies involved in the construction industry, one of the first cases he worked on involved a suit, in Texas, over the construction of the “Million Dollar Pier” in New Jersey.
He has acted as counsel in numerous lawsuits, arbitrations and meditations which have involved construction of plants, apartments, office buildings, hotels, nursing homes and other facilities. He has handled cases involving all types of associated claims, including product failure, design deficiencies, and explosions/fire related investigation and litigation.
- Defended large construction company with respect to explosions/fire litigation, including the over 2500 claims relating to tort, toxic and environmental injuries and damages arising from the chemical release and explosion at the Phillips Petroleum plant.
- Represented large construction company in contract dispute over the manufacture and erection of storage tank farm.
- Defended property owner, who was also acting as the general contractor for a large warehouse and office project. Employee of rigging sub-contractor fell from structure when a support column partially gave way, suffered substantial injuries in the fall (over 20 surgeries with in excess of $250,000.00 in past medical).
- Defended large manufacturer/supplier of excavation equipment for construction project where there was an cave-in trapping 3 men -- the last of whom died on the way to the hospital after being trapped underground for over 5 hours.
- Defended a national testing company in suits involving numerous death, injury and property damage claims filed in Texas and Louisiana resulting from the construction and subsequent rupture of a steel tank releasing molten chemical and paper waste which totally engulfed several bystanders and burned others in the area.
- Defended large construction company in a property damage case in excess of $25 million when the rigging failed and a large (several ton) screen, used in a chemical reactor involved in the production of chemicals, was dropped.
- Represented a large, nation wide company, with respect to claims relating to the demolition activities, with respect to a municipal demolition and construction project of a major highway and bridge structure in Downtown Houston.
- Represented a large, national company doing highway work as respects claims arising from a multi-vehicle accident and the deaths.