Thompson Coe Partners Become Board Certified in Insurance Law, New Specialty Area Offered in 2023
Jan 12, 2024
Six Thompson Coe partners are board certified in Insurance Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (TBLS) after sitting for the exam in October 2023. The new board certified partners in the Houston office are Christina Culver, Diego Garcia, and Raymond Kutch; and in the Dallas office are Matthew Kolodoski, Rhonda Thompson, and Harrison Yoss.
This is is the first time that the specialty area Insurance Law was offered and the first class to become certified. There are 52 board certified Insurance law lawyers in Texas.
Insurance Law is the practice of law dealing with the determination and regulation of issues arising in respect to various policies of insurance, including commercial general liability (CGL); casualty; directors and officers liability; excess/umbrella; extra-contractual liability; employment practices; advertising injury; life, health, and disability; professional liability; environmental impairment liability; property; personal lines; title; marine; cyber; and reinsurance.
Lawyers in this area handle issues dealing with coverage, regulatory, oversight, public policy, the sale of policies of insurance, what qualifies as an insurance indemnity agreement and consumer protection. The practice can include dispute resolution, transactional work, counseling and advice, and regulatory work, among other areas, according to TBLS.
In order to become board certified, an attorney must:
- Practice law full-time for at least 5 years as an active member of the State Bar of Texas
- Have at least 3 years of Insurance Law experience with a yearly minimum of 30% substantial involvement in Insurance Law matters
- Submit qualified vetted references from lawyers in the area
- Complete 60 hours of TBLS approved continuing legal education in Insurance Law
- Meet all of the TBLS Standards for Attorney Certification
- Pass a comprehensive 6-hour examination in Insurance Law