Charles Weigel’s practice focuses on civil litigation in the areas of transportation, aviation, products liability, premises liability, directors & officers liability, professional liability, dram shop, construction, environmental, energy, and commercial litigation. His experience in the areas of transportation and aviation includes the representation of trucking companies and an airline catering and in-flight services company in personal injury and wrongful death cases, and interstate common carriers in cargo litigation.
In products liability litigation he has represented the manufacturers, distributors and sellers of products such as construction equipment, household appliances, insulation, tractor-trailers and oil field equipment.
In directors & officers and professional liability cases he has represented insurance agents, psychologists, social workers, accountants, local government officials, investment advisors, surveyors, condominium associations and corporate officers and directors. He has represented restaurants, hotels, bars, and retail stores in premises liability, dram shop and personal injury litigation.
In construction, personal injury and wrongful death litigation he has represented residential homebuilders and commercial contractors and subcontractors. In environmental, energy and commercial litigation he has experience representing oil & gas operators, service companies, and suppliers, chemical manufacturers, land owners, landlords, lenders, solar facility operators and franchisors.
Charles seeks to provide his clients with a thorough investigation, evaluation and analysis of their case to promote early resolution and cost-effective representation.
- Obtained defense verdict in jury trial for global fast food restaurant.
- Obtained verdict in jury trial enforcing settlement agreement in a construction case.
- Obtained two defense verdicts in federal jury trials for a national retail store in premises liability actions.
- Obtained summary judgment for contractor based on the independent contractor defense.
- Obtained summary judgment which was affirmed on appeal in dram shop action against restaurant based on the statutory safe harbor defense in the Texas Dram Shop Act. Faircloth v. Borderlands, a Southwest Grill, Inc. et al., Case No. 11-14-00239-CV, Eleventh Court of Appeals, Eastland, Texas (pet. denied).
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court in favor of health care provider on counter-claim against employee benefit plan in case involving the wrongful denial of medical benefits.
- Charbonnet v. Lee, 951 F.2d 638 (5th Cir 1992) (Affirming insurance carrier did not have coverage for intentional acts which allegedly violated Plaintiff’s constitutional rights)
- Calhoun v. St. Bernard Parish, 937 F.2d 172 (5th Cir 1991), U.S. cert. den. 502 U.S.1060 (1992) (Establishing immunity for local government officials involved in passing zoning ordinance in the Fifth Circuit)
- Hebert v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 911 F.2d 1044 (5th Cir 1990) (Repudiated the uncalled witness rule in the Fifth Circuit)
- Rogers v. Janzen, 891 F.2d 95 (5th Cir 1989) (Affirmed summary judgment for psychologist on the grounds of witness and official immunity, abstention, and the domestic relations exception to diversity jurisdiction)
- Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center (J.D., 1988)
- Phi Delta Phi
- Martin Inn, President
- Louisiana State University (B.A., 1984)
- magna cum laude
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Texas, 1994
- Virginia, 1992
- Louisiana, 1988
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts Louisiana
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Dallas Bar Association – Member
- Aviation Insurance Association – Member
- St. Thomas More Society – Member
- Parish Council, Mater Dei Latin Mass Parish (2009-present)
- Board of Advisors, The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, North American District (1996-present)
- Knights of Columbus, Mater Dei Council 15033, Notre Dame Assembly 2144
- Former Director, Faustina Academy
- Former Director, St. Therese Academy
Speeches and Presentations
- “Fracking and the Environment”, Ace North America, New York, New York, 2015
- “Addressing Circumstantial Evidence of Product Defect in a Fire Case”, DRI Product Liability Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2011
- “How to Equip Your Business to Avoid a Lawsuit and How to Handle a Lawsuit if One Occurs”, National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association Annual Conference, Daytona Florida, 2007
- “A Survey of Torts in Workers’ Compensation and Subrogation Claims”, ExxonMobil, Houston, Texas, 2006
- “A Survey of Torts in Workers’ Compensation and Subrogation Claims”, Sedgewick, Dallas, Texas 2006