“I study the court system, so you don’t have to.”
Benjamin Ritz is an associate at Thompson Coe, where he handles complex commercial and insurance litigation and appeals. Benjamin’s law review article is written in an approachable FAQ-style on the subject of electronic discovery to help clients and attorneys navigate the complex issues involved in the collection and processing of electronically stored information.
Benjamin has extensive experience with state and trial chambers, including the Supreme Court of Texas, the Supreme Court of Ireland, two appellate courts, and two trial courts. Also, while studying abroad in Prague, he had the opportunity to take a class on U.S. Supreme Court history with Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. Prior to joining the firm, Benjamin served as a law clerk at the Southern District of Texas and as a briefing attorney at the First Court of Appeals in Houston, Texas, where he assisted judges in the screening of cases and the drafting of opinions and judgments.
Benjamin completed his undergraduate at Colby College and graduated second in his class from South Texas College of Law. He is an Eagle Scout.
Outside the office, Benjamin enjoys spending time with his son, attending conventions with his author wife, playing board games, attending and participating in theater, trying new restaurants, and traveling. Benjamin is on upcoming Board of and present Co-Chair of the Houston Young Lawyer Association CLE Monthly Program. Benjamin is a member of ABA Forum and Air and Space Law. And as a member of the Garland Walker Inn of Court, he has enjoyed creating theatrical interactive CLE presentations for attorneys, from the Legal Legacy of World War I to Star Laws: The Final Legal Frontier.
- Successful take-nothing summary judgment in favor of defendant insurer on cost of insurance litigation in federal trial court.
- No. 19-10303 (KJC), In re; 1515-GEEnergy Holding Co. LLC, Et Al., U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Delaware, assisted client in the purchase of 76,000 renewable energy credits and related contracts for $7.5M. We originally defended Skyview Finance Company LLC’s forward contractual rights in Great Eastern Energy’s Delaware bankruptcy case. Skyview invests in renewable energy markets, and Great Eastern is a regional energy supplier. As a result of regional restrictions, Great Eastern had to sell off many of its credits quickly to maximize its investment to the bankruptcy estate. We saw an opportunity. While maintaining Skyview’s contractual rights, we pivoted to assist Skyview in structuring a winning bid and a profit-sharing contract on future contract recovery that the judge signed off on.
- South Texas College of Law (J.D., 2015)
- South Texas Law Review
- Colby College (2000)
- National Psychology Honor Society
- Texas, 2016
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 11/08/2018
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 05/16/2019
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 08/07/2019
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, 06/25/2019
Professional and Community Activities
- Garland R. Walker Inn of Court, 2015–Present, Outstanding Participation Award 2017, Leadership Summit
- Delegate 2018, and National Outstanding Program Award 2019
- HBA Appellate Section Outreach Committee, 2017–2018, Newsletter 2018–19
- HYLA, 2016–Present, Leadership Academy 2018–2019, Lunchtime CLE Co-Chair 2019–20, Board Member 2020-2021, President's Award Winner for Outstanding Committee Chair, 2020
- ABA Forum for Air and Space 2019–20
- Foundation Fellow 2019, HYLA – raised money for Houston Area Women’s Center
- Eagle Scout, literacy support program for Hobby Elementary School
- Volunteer, Extra-Life Charity
Speeches and Presentations
- National Outstanding Program Award - “Pirates!, Rogues, Rascals & the Rule of Law: From the Spanish Main to the Mainframe,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, May 2018
- “Navigating the Job Market During the Coronavirus Pandemic,” HYLA Zoom, May 2020
- “Star Laws: The Final
LegalFrontier,” IEEE Regional Chapter, May 2020
- “Star Laws: The Final
LegalFrontier,” IEEE Houston Chapter, January 2020
- “Do’s and Don’ts for the Non-Bankruptcy Attorney, HYLA Moderator, September 2019
- “Legal Legacy of World War I,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, January 2018
- “Appellate Writing: Best Practices,” University of Houston Law Center, November 2017
- “Star Laws: The Final
LegalFrontier,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, May 2017
- “A Guide to Predictive Coding in E-Discovery,” HPA 2017 Advanced CLE Paralegal 7Conference, April 2017
- “Appellate Court Perspectives,” University of Houston Law Center, October 2016
- “Introduction to Negotiation: Strategies and Tactics,” South Texas College of Law Houston, June 2016
- Benjamin Ritz, Comment, Will This Dog Hunt?: An Attorney’s Guide to Predictive Coding, 57 S. TEXAS L. REV. 345 (2016)
- Hon. Diane Guariglia & Benjamin Ritz, Dirty Deeds Done Not Dirt Cheap, 57 S. TEXAS L. REV. 503 (2016)