Benjamin Ritz is an associate at Thompson Coe, where he handles complex commercial insurance litigation and appeals. His practice focuses primarily on insurance coverage and defense for primary and excess insurers, including complex, multi-party insurance coverage and bad-faith litigation involving general liability, environmental pollution, construction defects, directors and officers coverage, errors and omissions coverage, and property insurance. Ben’s experience includes pre-suit resolution and litigation of residential and commercial property damage and design defects, auto coverage, attorney’s fee disputes, chemical compound liability, and bodily injury to employees.
Prior to joining the firm, Benjamin served as a law clerk at the Southern District of Texas and as a briefing attorney at the First Court of Appeals in Houston, Texas. Benjamin has extensive court experience, including the Supreme Court of Texas, the Supreme Court of Ireland, the First and Fourteenth Court of Appeals, the Southern District of Texas and Harris County Civil District Court.
Benjamin on the Board of the Houston Young Lawyer Association where he organizes lawyer education and leadership programs. And as a member of the Garland Walker Inn of Court, he works with sitting judges to produce programs from Plymouth Rocks! The Mayflower Compact at 400 to Star Laws: The Final Legal Frontier. He also enjoys volunteering with his son at the Houston Food Bank and Extra-Life. He is an Eagle Scout.
- Obtained take-nothing summary judgment in favor of defendant insurer on cost of insurance litigation in federal trial court.
- Obtained full reversal on appeal to misclassification and double-taxation home warranty insurer in Washington State.
- Obtained large class action settlement for insurer allowing insurer to retain the majority of future profits for at issue policies.
- Advised insurer on revisions to assignability and other policy provisions to United States policy template.
- Defeated plaintiff’s joinder to challenge defendant insurer’s removal to federal court.
- Defended client’s contractual rights while structuring winning bankruptcy bid and later enforcement of 76,000 solar renewable credit rights for $7.5M. No. 19-10303 (KJC), In re 1515-GEEnergy Holding Co. LLC, Et Al., U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Delaware.
- Guiding coverage and bad-faith matters through every phase of resolution from pre-litigation coverage analysis, to strategic discovery, pre-trial judgments, alternative dispute resolution, and trial strategy.
- Efficient resolution of residential and commercial property claims through pre-suit negotiation, appraisal, mediation, and litigation, as appropriate for the case.
- South Texas College of Law (J.D., 2015)
- South Texas Law Review
- Colby College (2000)
- National Psychology Honor Society
- Texas, 2016
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 11/08/2018
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 05/16/2019
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 08/07/2019
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, 06/25/2019
Professional and Community Activities
- Garland R. Walker Inn of Court, 2015–Present, Outstanding Participation Award 2017, Leadership Summit
- Delegate 2018, and National Outstanding Program Award 2019
- HBA Appellate Section Outreach Committee, 2017–2018, Newsletter 2018–19
- HYLA, 2016–Present, Leadership Academy 2018–2019, Lunchtime CLE Co-Chair 2019–20, Board Member 2020-2021, President's Award Winner for Outstanding Committee Chair, 2020
- ABA Forum for Air and Space 2019–20
- Foundation Fellow 2019, HYLA – raised money for Houston Area Women’s Center
- Eagle Scout, literacy support program for Hobby Elementary School
- Volunteer, Extra-Life Charity
Speeches and Presentations
- “Judicial Clerkships,” South Texas College of Law Houston, October 2020
- “Leadership and Executive Presence,” HYLA Retreat, October 2020
- “Navigating the Job Market During the Coronavirus Pandemic,” HYLA Zoom, May 2020
- “Star Laws: The Final
LegalFrontier,” IEEE Regional Chapter, April 2020
- “Star Laws: The Final
LegalFrontier,” IEEE Houston Chapter, January 2020
- “Do’s and Don’ts for the Non-Bankruptcy Attorney, HYLA Moderator, September 2019
- National Outstanding Program Award - “Pirates!, Rogues, Rascals & the Rule of Law: From the Spanish Main to the Mainframe,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, May 2018
- “Legal Legacy of World War I,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, January 2018
- “Appellate Writing: Best Practices,” University of Houston Law Center, November 2017
- “Star Laws: The Final
LegalFrontier,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, May 2017
- “A Guide to Predictive Coding in E-Discovery,” HPA 2017 Advanced CLE Paralegal 7Conference, April 2017
- “Appellate Court Perspectives,” University of Houston Law Center, October 2016
- “Introduction to Negotiation: Strategies and Tactics,” South Texas College of Law Houston, June 2016
- “The Other ‘Traffic’ Problem: Insurance Coverage for Trafficked Sex and Labor Liability,” Tamara Bruno, Christina Culver, & Benjamin Ritz, Advanced Insurance Law 2020 Coursebook
- “Plymouth Rocks! The Mayflower Compact at 400,” Garland Walker Inn of Court, November 2020
- “Confidence: How to Give a Speech,” Benjamin Ritz and Choose to Do, Inc. for underprivileged youth, August 2020
- “Will This Dog Hunt?: An Attorney’s Guide to Predictive Coding”, Benjamin Ritz, 57 S. TEXAS L. REV. 345 (2016)
- “Dirty Deeds Done Not Dirt Cheap,” Hon. Diane Guariglia & Benjamin Ritz, 57 S. TEXAS L. REV. 503 (2016)