Diego Garcia has advised and represented insurers in numerous types of coverage disputes, including litigation involving environmental pollution, construction defects, product liability, directors and officers insurance coverage, property insurance, and coverage issues involving asbestos and silica personal injury claims.
He led the pre-litigation investigation involving a massive environmental coverage claim by a major oil refiner and distributor. As a result of the investigation, the case settled on favorable terms for insurer client. Diego assisted in the briefing of the insurance coverage issues for the Phase II trial in Exxon Corp. v. INA, et al., one of the largest environmental coverage cases in U.S. The case settled on favorable terms for insurer client.
Diego is recognized as a leading attorney in Chambers and Partner's as a Leading Lawyer in America for Insurance.
- United States Fire Ins. Co. v. Scottsdale Ins. Co., 264 S.W.3d 160 (Tex. App. – Dallas 2008) – Represented appellant in complex insurance coverage case involving dispute between primary insurer and excess insurer concerning exhaustion of policy limits.
- Assisted insurance carriers in coverage opinions for insurer client involving construction defect litigation, environmental pollution litigation, toxic tort litigation, product liability litigation, personal injury litigation, employment wrongful act claims, and director and officer wrongful acts claims arising in numerous jurisdictions across the United States.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Subcommittee co-chair, Asbestos Insurance Committee of ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee
- Council Member, State Bar of Texas Insurance Section
- Delegate, Republican National Convention (2008)
- Delegate, Republican Party of Texas Convention (2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010)
Speeches and Presentations
- Co-Presenter on “Independent Counsel Issues” on April 8, 2010 for the State Bar of Texas 7th Annual Advanced Insurance Law Course 2010 in Dallas, Texas
- Co-Presenter on “Independent Defense Counsel: When Can the Policyholder Select Its Own Defense Lawyer and How Much Does the Insurer Have to Pay?” on March 5, 2010 for the ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee’s CLE Seminar in Tucson, Arizona
- Co-Presenter on “The Insured is Under Investigation: What Should I Do?”
on March 7, 2009 for the ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation
Committee’s CLE Seminar in Tucson, Arizona
- Co-Presenter on “Expert Witnesses in Complex Environmental Coverage Litigation: Airports, Aquifers and Algorithms” on March 3, 2007 for the ABA Section of Litigation Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee’s CLE Seminar in Tucson, Arizona
- Nominated by peers to The Best Lawyers in America® for 2010- 2013 in the field of Insurance Law. (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- Chambers and Partner's Leading Lawyers in America for Insurance in Texas (2003-2011)
- Chambers USA, Top Insurance Firm, Texas (2005-2011)
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1995, with honors
- University of Houston, B.A., 1992, Political Science, Honors Program, College of Social Sciences Scholar of the Year, National Merit Scholar
- Texas, 1995
- United States District Court Northern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court District of Columbia