Rick Mosher’s trial practice focuses on commercial litigation, transportation law, truck accident defense and insurance coverage litigation, including trial defense of catastrophic highway accidents, property damage, non subscriber injury, and litigation over logistics contracts, cargo losses, tariffs, brokers, freight forwarders and various other logistics intermediaries. On the commercial side, Rick represents business operations and ownership interests in the evaluation, trial or arbitration of a broad range of commercial disputes.
Rick also has extensive experience in complex property coverage litigation involving primary and excess commercial property policies, including claims litigation arising out of fire, water damage, mold, fraud, arson, marine and inland marine risks. He also defends owners, contractors and design professionals in construction defect claims arising out of foundation damage, collapse, and other forms of property damage.
- Briefed and argued favorable summary judgment motion on behalf of commercial excess insurer in notice/prejudice case.
- Trial defense of large Wisconsin dairy cooperative, its directors and management in action for damages over failed food manufacturing venture. Trial resulted in dismissal and entry of take nothing judgment on contract, fiduciary duty, and negligence claims seeking damages of $12,000,000.
- Evaluation and pre-trial defense of highway fatality and wrongful death claims against driver and operator of commercial truck leading to favorable settlement on behalf of Fortune 500 beverage company.
- Trial defense of excess insurer of flat-bed trailer in a direct action by judgment creditor of the insured. Jury trial over permissive use of trailer ended with favorable settlement in excess of $40 million.
- Jury trial of high speed interstate collision involving two tractor trailers.
- Defended trucking company in wrongful death case that was favorably settled during jury deliberations after two-week trial.
- Obtained defense verdict for adoption agency in deceptive trade practices brought by adoptive parents sought mental anguish and punitive damages for alleged errors and omissions in connection with social services.
- Represented subrogated marine insurers on transit losses to wafer furnace used to fabricate micro processors
- Prosecuted and presented physical damage claims under international air bills against multiple connection carriers and secured favorable settlement at mediation despite significant impediments to recovery under air bills and Warsaw Convention.
- Secured defense verdict for charter bus operator in intersection collision case with private passenger vehicle.
- Lead investigation and defense of Atlanta based structural engineering firm in connection with structural failure of commercial warehouse and ensuing subrogation suit.
- Representation of ownership interests in connection with break up and dissolution of aviation insurance venture resulting in partnership accounting and the winding up partnership affairs.
- Defense of insurer in deceptive trade practices action alleging deception and falsification of physical damage and liability premiums.
- Represented national insurer in prosecution of arbitration claims arising out of indemnity against third party administrator for contractual indemnity.
- St. Mary's University School of Law (J.D., 1982)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1978)
- Texas, 1982
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Professional and Community Activities
- Board of Directors, Shared Housing Dallas
Speeches and Presentations
- 2006, Financial Responsibility Endorsements for Motor Carriers, DRI For the Defense
- 2005 MCS-90 and Intrastate Financial Responsibility Endorsements, State Bar of Texas, Prosecuting and Defending Truck Accident Litigation
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.