Skip to content

Yes, businesses generally can petition the federal government for a work visa for prospective employees.  Once successful the foreign national should then be able to work for you pursuant to that visa, as long as the visa grants him the ability to work lawfully in the U.S. 

There are a variety of different visa options providing foreign workers the ability to work in the U.S. legally.  For a petition to be successful you would first need identify which visa type is appropriate to your situation, followed by applying for the visa itself.  Unfortunately, the government has made the application increasingly complex, so it often can be frustrating even for inexperienced HR professionals.  You will likely need to seek legal guidance to assist you with the process. 

Thompson Coe and myHRgenius Tip of the Week is not intended as a solicitation, does not constitute legal advice, and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Subscribe to myHRgenius for unlimited expert help.

Find out more about the program and subscribe today.

Learn More

Related People

Kevin M. Mosher

Kevin M. Mosher


Related Resources