Mr. Cedillo is a member of the professional liability section and represents a range of professionals, including attorneys, design professionals (construction defect), insurance agents, property management companies, and mortgage field service providers. Mr. Cedillo also represents companies sued for alleged personal injury claims, including catastrophic injuries and alleged traumatic brain injury. Finally, Mr. Cedillo has experience in commercial litigation matters as well, including contract disputes, fraud, and alter ego claims.
- Obtained several dismissals of lawsuits in favor of mortgage field service providers, including for Plaintiffs' failure to state a claim and lack of personal jurisdiction.
- Obtained dismissal in favor of a mortgage field service provider based upon lack of subject matter jurisdiction—Plaintiff failed to first exhaust his claims through the FDIC administrative process as provided under the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989, which deals with failed banks.
- Obtained summary judgment for an attorney sued for an alleged mishandling of a decedent’s probate estate.
- Obtained summary judgment for an attorney sued for an alleged breach of fiduciary duty (allegedly disclosed privileged attorney-client communications).
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a law firm sued on an alleged contribution claim ($2 million claim).
- Obtained 91a dismissal and awarded attorneys' fees on behalf of a law firm sued for alleged legal malpractice.
- Successfully represented attorney client regarding a show cause order as to why sanctions should not be issued against him—the Court decided not to issue sanctions after our briefing.
- Obtained dismissal and awarded attorneys’ fees in a lawsuit filed against an insurance agent—Plaintiff alleged damages in excess of $2 million.
- Nonsuit filed by Plaintiffs after moving for summary judgment on behalf of an insurance agent sued for allegedly having a duty to verify that signatures on an application for a loan against a whole life insurance policy were the authentic signatures of the assignees that had the sole right to collect the net proceeds on the life insurance policy.
- Obtained summary judgment for client sued for alleged violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, the Texas Debt Collection Act and the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
- Obtained dismissal of Plaintiff's claims for alleged violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Negotiated a zero-dollar settlement on behalf of a homeowners’ association sued for alleged defamation and business disparagement after filing a motion to dismiss pursuant to the Texas Anti-SLAPP Statute, which protects free speech and right of association.
- Obtained dismissal of numerous claims, including with prejudice, against design professionals under Chapter 150 of the Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code.
- Negotiated several voluntary nonsuits of multiple professionals that required no consideration on behalf of the clients, including numerous nonsuits of multiple insurance agents, a property management company, a real estate agent and attorneys.
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock (J.D., 2009)
- Moot Court Board and Moot Court Travel Team
- Received several scholarships, including Pre-Enrollment Academic Merit Scholarships and the Brian McMillan Scholarship for Future Litigators of Tomorrow
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A. Psychology, 2005)
- Graduated with Special Honors
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Dallas Bar Association
- Hispanic National Bar Association
Speeches and Presentations
- Presented “Avoiding Imputed Disqualification” at the Southern Academy of Legal Studies in Business Annual Seminar on April 2, 2016
- Mortgage Field Services, a Perspective from the Litigation Trenches, Fall 2018