Mike Kirkland is a trial attorney in the firm’s civil litigation section. Mike focuses primarily on defending business and individuals in personal injury lawsuits involving allegations of premises liability, dram shop, general negligence, and other tort-related claims.
Mike's construction defect practice has included the defense of various types of contractors against claims of defective installation. His representation of these clients includes all types of complex projects: commercial, assisted living facilities, schools, and personal residences.
Mike has served his country for over twenty years in the military including being mobilized for Operation Noble Eagle and Operation Enduring Freedom, activated for Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Harvey response efforts and served two deployments to Afghanistan.
Mike continues to serve his state and country as a Major in the Texas Air National Guard.
- Obtained summary judgment for a consumer reporting agency in a Fair Credit Reporting Act case in federal court.
- Obtained summary judgment for a property manager in a libel and slander case brought by a former tenant.
- Negotiated favorable settlements on behalf of clients in numerous personal injury cases utilizing both mediation and informal dispute resolution methods.
- Negotiated favorable settlements on behalf of clients in numerous construction defect cases utilizing both mediation and informal dispute resolution methods.
- Represents professional truck drivers and several regional, and local trucking companies in defense of claims made for negligent hiring, training, supervision, retention, and violations of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s rules and regulations.
- Counsel on 12 Courts-Martial as either prosecutor or defense counsel.
- Lead counsel on behalf of the United States Air Force or as defense counsel in 25 boards of inquiry involving pilot certification, administrative discharge of Airmen, withdrawal of Federal Recognition, and boards of inquiry.
- Texas Tech University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- University of Texas at El Paso (B.A., 2004)
- Texas, 2008
- United States Court of Appeals, Armed Forces
- U.S. Court of Criminal Appeals, Air Force
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas