Weather-Related Catastrophe Litigation
Rick Harmon devotes much of his practice to the representation of insurance carriers in all aspects of contractual and extra-contractual litigation. He represents insurers in matters involving first-party and third-party coverage disputes. He has advised and represented carriers in responding to natural disasters and catastrophes. Rick has defended insurers in large commercial property insurance disputes involving hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Dolly and Ike and represented a personal lines insurer in multi-district litigation involving more than 350 lawsuits.
- Favorable resolution of several large property insurance lawsuits for clients involving hurricanes Dolly and Ike.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of insurer in class action involving thousands of potential claims relating to overhead/profit issues.
- Served as lead counsel on numerous commercial and personal lines cases involving hurricanes Rita, Dolly and Ike.
- Rpresented insurer in complex commercial property dispute involving nine apartment complexes damaged by Hurricane Katrina.
- Obtained favorable opinion from Texas Supreme Court in large commercial dispute in which client sought to compel arbitration under an agency contract.
- Counseled insurance client regarding a multitude of coverage issues and assisted insurer in resolving several national pharmaceutical and medical device cases involving global insurance programs.