Thompson Coe Recognized In Annual Ranking of Leading Firms and Lawyers in America
May 24, 2013
Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons has achieved a top ranking of "Band 1" for Insurance in Texas for work performed in 2012 and seven attorneys have been recognized for their work in Insurance and Insurance: Regulation for Texas.
Chambers USA editors state about Thompson Coe, "This firm earns positive recognition for its wide array of insurance services, which include regulatory and transactional matters and coverage claims. The team regularly represents some of the country's most prominent insurers, with a particular emphasis on catastrophe claims. The practitioners are adept at handling a multitude of claims including construction and builders' risk, life and health claims and professional liability. Recent highlights include defending a major insurer against over 900 lawsuits arising after Hurricane Ike."
Attorneys recognized in Chambers USA:
- Brian Martin, a partner in the Houston office, ranked "Band 1" in Insurance for Texas. Chambers USA states, Brian "is identified as 'probably the best coverage lawyer in Texas' and garners an overwhelming amount of respect. Commentators agree he is 'an outstanding speaker and writer.' He successfully defended North River Insurance in a $72 million lawsuit regarding the distribution of Chinese drywall products."
- Jay Thompson is "regarded by market sources as 'a premier insurance industry lobbyist and regulatory counsel' who is held in high regard by sources. He recently represented Progressive County Mutual Insurance and other insurers before the Texas Attorney General in advertising issues." Jay is a partner is the Austin office and is ranked "Band 1" for Insurance: Regulation and "Band 3" in Insurance for Texas.
- Roger Higgins, a managing partner in the Dallas office, is ranked "Band 2" in Insurance for Texas. According to Chambers USA, he "specializes in defending insurers against catastrophe claims. This expertise is illustrated by his continued representation of a major insurer against multiple Hurricane Ike lawsuits. Sources add that he is 'premier for bad faith insurance class actions.'"
- Rodrigo "Diego" Garcia "is acknowledged as an impressive insurance coverage litigator, handling issues involving construction defects, D&O liability, property liability, environmental pollution and personal injury claims. He is known to be 'very knowledgeable and effective in all phases of litigation.'" Diego is a partner in the Houston office and is ranked "Band 3" in Insurance for Texas.
- Will Davis, who served of counsel in the Austin office last year, is ranked as a "Senior Statesmen" in Insurance: Regulation for Texas. Will is identified as "a significant asset to the team and regularly handles regulatory and transactional matters for insurance companies."
- Richard Geiger, of counsel in the Dallas office, "continues to provide insurance organizations with sound advice and support regarding regulatory issues." He is ranked as a "Senior Statesmen" for Insurance in Texas.
- Ellen Van Meir, partner in the Dallas office, is ranked as "Up and Coming" for Insurance in Texas. Chambers USA states, she "is a new addition to the rankings and comes highly recommended by her peers. She represents insurance carriers against a variety of coverage claims."
According to the Chambers website, “Chambers USA ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America. The research is in-depth and client focused and the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations throughout the US and worldwide. It is also widely used by firms in all states for referral purposes. Law firms and individual lawyers are ranked in bands from 1-6, with 1 being the best.
In addition, there are further categories in which lawyers can be ranked as exceptional individuals. A 'Senior Statesman' is a lawyer who no longer works hands-on with the same intensity but who, by virtue of close links with major clients, remains pivotal to the firm’s success.” "The 'Up and Coming' band lists those who do not yet have an established reputation but who are driving their firm's growth."