Reported General Liability Cases
PERSONAL INJURY / PRODUCT LIABILITY
- Secured mandamus relief from district court’s order refusing to dismiss group of product-liability cases based on forum non conveniens. In re Ford Motor Co., 591 F.3d 406 (5th Cir. 2009).
- Secured reversal of court of appeals’ judgment setting aside jury verdict on auto manufacturer's claim against plaintiffs for fraudulent inducement into a settlement. Ford Motor Co. v. Castillo, 444 S.W.3d 616 (Tex. 2014). 13-0158
- Obtained reversal of an award of guardian ad litem fees when there was no apparent conflict of interest between the next friend and injured minor in product liability action. Ford Motor Co. v. Stewart, Cox, & Hatcher, P.C., 390 S.W.3d 294 (Tex. 2013). 11-0818
- Obtained reversal of trial court’s award of guardian ad litem fees based on insufficiency of evidence that the guardian ad litem personally performed services or that the services were necessary to the limited task for which he was appointed. Ford Motor Co. v. Garcia, 363 S.W.3d 573 (Tex. 2012). 10-0953
- Obtained reversal of award of guardian ad litem fees for work done outside the scope of the guardian’s appointment. Ford Motor Co. v. Chacon, 370 S.W.3d 359 (Tex. 2012). 10-0506
- Obtained reversal of court of appeals’ opinion reversing summary judgment for general contractor based on lack of duty to rectify or warn of a dangerous condition allegedly created by contractor’s work. Allen Keller Co. v. Foreman, 343 S.W.3d 420 (Tex. 2011). 09-0955
- Secured reversal of trial court’s order refusing to permit auto manufacturer discovery into alleged fraud by plaintiffs’ counsel and juror misconduct in connection with settlement. Ford Motor Co. v. Castillo, 279 S.W.3d 656 (Tex. 2009). 06-0875
- Obtained writ of mandamus re-urging the plaintiff to produce all settlement agreements with other settling defendants in product-liability case . In re GreCon, Inc., 542 S.W.3d 774 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2018, orig. proceeding) 14-17-00639-CV
- Successfully defended defense verdict and partial summary judgment on appeal where Plaintiff alleged there was error in the jury charge and in granting partial summary judgment on DTPA and breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing claims. Brannan v. Ford Motor Co., 2018 WL 1057434 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2018, no pet.). 14-16-00789-CV
- Successfully defended defense verdict on plaintiffs’ claims that the trial court erred in excluding numerous alleged “other similar incidents” from evidence. Estate of Muniz v. Ford Motor Co., 2013 WL 2645284 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2013, no pet.). 04-12-00263-CV
- Successfully defended the trial court’s grant of a directed verdict on plaintiff’s claims in a personal injury action. Brinker v. Evans, 370 S.W.3d 416 (Tex. App.—Amarillo 2012, pet. denied). 07-11-0044-CV
- Obtained reversal of $7.7 million judgment and rendition of take nothing judgment for the defendant based on the legal insufficiency of the plaintiff's expert testimony on safer alternative design. Ford Motor Co. v. Wiles, 353 S.W.3d 198 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2011, pet. denied).
- Successfully defended a take nothing judgment for defendants based on the harmless error of submitting a jury question regarding the alleged victim’s own negligence in a personal injury action. Crowson v. Bowen, 320 S.W.3d 486 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 2010, no pet.). 02-09-00294-CV
- Secured reversal of trial court's judgment notwithstanding the verdict awarding plaintiff full amount of past medical care damages in personal injury action based on the legally insufficient evidence supporting the jury’s award. Bullard v. Lynde, 292 S.W.3d 142 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2009, no pet.).
- Secured reversal of onerous conditions of dismissal in forum non conveniens dismissal order. Ford Motor Co. v. Villanueva, 302 S.W.3d 476 (Tex. App.—Eastland 2009, no pet.). 11-08-00030-CV
- Successfully defended summary judgment for defendants based on the lack of a duty to control the conduct of third parties when the risk of harm is not foreseeable in a personal injury action. Dyess v. Harris, 321 S.W.3d 9 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] 2009, pet. denied). 01-08-00673-CV
- Successfully defended a take nothing judgment in favor of an automobile manufacturer based on the plaintiff's failure to meet the burden of proof required to prove a design defect. Hunter v. Ford Motor Co., Inc., 305 S.W. 3d 202 (Tex. App.—Waco 2009, no pet.). 10-08-00128-CV
- Successfully defended order granting motion to apply the law of Mexico in product-liability case. Torres v. Bridgestone/Firestone N. Am. Tire, LLC, 498 S.W.3d 565 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2016).