Thompson Coe’s litigation capabilities extend well beyond our national reputation as counsel in insurance litigation and coverage disputes. With more than 80 skilled trial and appellate lawyers, many of them certified in various litigation specialties by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, we regularly represent business and corporate clients directly as plaintiffs and defendants in commercial litigation, administrative and regulatory proceedings, and alternative dispute resolution.
We are respected by insurance carriers and corporate clients alike for our nationwide trial and appellate capability, and our work often involves precedent-setting cases. We excel at early case evaluation that helps our clients make trial or settlement decisions. As seasoned and aggressive litigators, clients are confident in our abilities when we are trying cases to conclusion before judges and juries.
Practice Highlights: Trial Lawyers
- Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in such dispute resolution areas as Appellate Law, Business and Consumer Bankruptcy Law, Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury Trial Law
- Participants in specialty defense organizations, including the Defense Research Institute, Trucking Industry Defense Association, Associated Builders and Contractors and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority
- Experienced as federal prosecutors and in administrative enforcement by such federal agencies as the EEOC
- Lead counsel in hundreds of jury and bench trials.
With one of the largest national insurance litigation and coverage practices in the country, Thompson Coe defends insurers nationwide in a broad range of insurance-related controversies, including coverage disputes and bad faith and other extra-contractual litigation. Our more than 50 insurance trial lawyers represent an exceptional combination of trial and appellate experience with the deepest understanding of the insurance industry and its regulations.
We are national coordinating counsel for a number of insurance carriers, and regularly handle matters that can range from employment defense claims to toxic tort claims in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Both employers and their liability insurers depend on Thompson Coe for defense in litigation over employee or regulator claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, wage-hour violations and similar workplace torts.
Our lawyers have served as first and second chairs in products liability litigation in state and federal courts throughout Texas (often as state or regional coordinating counsel), and in multiple jurisdictions nationwide.
Lawyers, realtors, insurance brokers, registered representatives and many other professional service providers depend on Thompson Coe (both directly and through their insurers) for defense of professional negligence or misconduct allegations.
We have successfully defended many store owners, taverns and restaurants in cases where plaintiffs assert personal injury claims under the Texas Dram Shop Statute.
Thompson Coe has a national reputation for effective trial and defense of personal injury cases involving premises liability, products liability, medical malpractice, negligence and other tort-related claims. Our lawyers apply superior litigation skills to work in partnership with clients and their insurers to resolve injury and damage lawsuits. Thanks to our extensive insurance defense and product liability practices, we have unsurpassed skill at preventing spoliation of evidence and preserving the injury or damage scene, working to secure access before evidence is destroyed.
Our litigators have handled every type of commercial dispute ranging from simple contract matters to complex international disputes. We work directly with many public and private companies to ensure fulfillment of agreements and contracts. That includes vigorous enforcement of client rights in customer service agreements, consulting arrangements, employment and confidentiality pacts, manufacturing and supply contracts, and warranties.
Because of their complexity, even the best-planned construction projects can require dispute resolution upon completion. Thompson Coe lawyers regularly litigate, mediate and arbitrate claims over cost, design error and project management. All key players in the industry turn to us for representation – insurers, sureties, owners, developers, general and subcontractors, and design professionals. We can represent clients in controversies that involve bid protests and mistakes, cost disputes, design error, defective installation and contract disputes. We also handle mechanic's and materialman's liens, and federal and state bond claims.
Thompson Coe trial and appellate lawyers use their product liability and toxic tort experience to defend a wide range of clients in mass tort litigation. We focus on matters arising in Texas and the Southwest, but have handled claims involving cases in multiple jurisdictions nationwide. Our clients in these matters are makers of goods ranging from respirators to vitamins to industrial furnaces to products containing asbestos. Such cases involve unique issues of exposure over time and repeat patterns of claims, and we combine detailed product knowledge with exceptional trial preparation (particularly in our clients’ own files and records) to either mount an effective defense or reach a favorable settlement.
The Texas Supreme Court reversed the trial court in our appeal of a product liability lawsuit, finding that the jury charge to define a manufacturing defect was erroneous – an issue that we identified at trial, and that ultimately changed the future jury instructions made in such cases.
Thompson Coe appellate lawyers represent clients throughout the full trial and appeals process: from support at trial to prepare for a successful appeal, to briefing and argument in federal and state appellate courts. Four of our team members are Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. The matters we handle on appeal include products liability, personal injury, professional liability, insurance coverage and bad faith, commercial disputes, labor and employment controversies, and class actions. The direct involvement of our appellate lawyers in the trial process is an important element of our effectiveness, as represented by our rare integrated capability of lawyers having Board Certification in both appellate and civil trial law.
We combine in-depth knowledge of the complex insurance issues involved in bankruptcy or reorganization with skilled courtroom advocacy on behalf of a wide range of creditors in all four Texas federal bankruptcy courts, as well as nationwide.
Summary: Achieving Business Goals
Litigation is a fact of life for successful companies and their insurers. Thompson Coe litigators understand our clients’ needs and help them resolve all types of disputes in Texas and across the country. Our docket includes multimillion dollar class-action litigation, as well as smaller cases for clients involved in business, contract and tort disputes. Although many of our cases settle before trial, we make a decision on how best to resolve a dispute based on our clients’ business goals, reflecting our trial skill and thorough knowledge of the facts and the law.
- George H. Arnold, Partner
- Jennifer D. Aufricht, Partner
- John D. Auty, Partner
- Tasha L. Barnes, Partner
- Brandon E. Berg, Partner
- Kevin B. Brown, Partner
- Daniel P. Buechler, Partner
- Stephen M. Caine*, Partner
- John W. Chambless II, Partner
- Jacquelyn A. Chandler, Partner
- Wade C. Crosnoe, Partner
- Janis H. Detloff, Partner
- Michael W. Eady, Partner
- Lori K. Erwin, Partner
- Zandra E. Foley, Partner
- Barton J. Freeman, Partner
- Amy S. Friday, Partner
- John S. Gersch, Partner
- Wendell F. Hall, Partner
- J. Richard Harmon, Partner
- Roger D. Higgins, Partner
- Michael B. Johnson, Partner
- Mark J. Jung, Partner
- John B. Kronenberger, Partner
- Jessica L. Mangrum, Partner
- Danielle Harsany Maya, Partner
- David A. McFarland, Partner
- William L. Mennucci, Partner
- Lynn Moran Meyer, Partner
- Barry A. Moscowitz, Partner
- Richard M. Mosher, Partner
- William R. Moye, Partner
- Randy A. Nelson, Partner
- Frances M. O'Meara*, Partner
- Jeffrey D. Otto, Partner
- Michael G. Patiuk, Partner
- Shawn W. Phelan, Partner
- James (Jim) S. Reece, Partner
- Kevin F. Risley, Partner
- Sarah L. Rogers, Partner
- John L. Ross*, Partner
- Heather H. Sauter, Partner
- Joan S. Smyth, Partner
- David M. Taylor, Partner
- Holly M. Teel, Partner
- Rachael Chong Walters, Partner
- Ronald D. Wamsted, Partner
- George (Trey) N. Wilson III, Partner
- Michael (Mike) A. Yanof, Partner
- Joseph J. De Hope Jr., Of Counsel
- Franklin H. Perry, Of Counsel
- Timothy E. Headley, Senior Attorney
- Brian D. Hensley, Senior Attorney
- Jennifer M. Kearns, Senior Attorney
- Hao T. Nguyen, Senior Attorney
- Kristin C. Runkle, Senior Attorney
- D. Christene Wood, Senior Attorney
- Steven M. Augustine, Associate
- Christopher W. Baker, Associate
- Jenny L. Burke, Associate
- Sean M. Crowley, Associate
- Amber E. Edwards, Associate
- M. Brian Evans, Associate
- Mariza L. Garza, Associate
- Christopher L. Gordon, Associate
- Jamie L. Jackman, Associate
- Jessica G. Johns, Associate
- Whitney L. Mack, Associate
- Jennifer C. Martin, Associate
- Matthew J. McCabe, Associate
- Andrew J. McCluggage, Associate
- Daniel D. McGuire, Associate
- Tyler T. O'Halloran, Associate
- Cory S. Reed, Associate
- Rafael C. Rodriguez, Associate
- Jason T. Weber, Associate
- Arfeo Yllana, Associate
- * Board Certified. Please see attorney biography for more information.