Wade Crosnoe specializes in civil appeals and mandamus proceedings in Texas state and federal appellate courts. He also collaborates with trial counsel in preserving error for appeal and briefing critical legal issues in all phases of trial court proceedings, including at the jury charge conference and in pretrial, trial, and post-trial motions.
After serving as a briefing attorney for Justice Sue Lagarde on the Fifth Court of Appeals at Dallas, Texas, Wade has devoted his practice to appeals for more than 20 years. During that time he has given over 60 oral arguments in state and federal appellate courts. Wade is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has been repeatedly named a “Super Lawyer” by Texas Super Lawyer magazine.
Wade’s appellate practice focuses primarily on insurance, professional liability, personal injury, and product liability cases.
- Represented a general contractor in an appeal in which the Supreme Court of Texas reversed and rendered judgment for the contractor, concluding that it owed no duty to the plaintiff for an allegedly dangerous condition created by work that complied with the construction contract.
- Represented an insurance company in a mandamus proceeding in which the Supreme Court of Texas vacated the district court’s order denying the insurer’s motion to compel arbitration and ordered the case to arbitration.
- Represented a property management company in an appeal in which the Supreme Court of Texas reversed a $1.2 million default judgment against the company and rendered judgment that the plaintiffs take nothing.
- Represented a large, national insurance company in an appeal in which the Supreme Court of Texas reversed an award of attorney’s fees to the plaintiff under the Prompt Payment of Claims statute.
- Represented national insurance company in appeal to U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in which the court affirmed summary judgment for the insurer on contractual and extracontractual claims based on insurer’s timely payment of appraisal award
- Represented group of large national insurers in appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in which the court affirmed a civil RICO judgment for the insurers of approximately $4 million.
- Represented reinsurer in appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in which the court affirmed a judgment of $16.5 million for reinsurer based on tortious interference claim, and reversed and remanded district court’s grant of summary judgment against reinsurer on other claims.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in a mandamus proceeding in which the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit ordered the district court to dismiss a group of product liability cases based on forum non conveniens.
- Represented a national insurance company in an appeal where the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit reversed the district court's ruling that a food-poisoning incident resulted from multiple occurrences, resulting in a $1 million reduction in the judgment.
- Represented a large, multinational insurance company in an appeal in which the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed the district court’s judgment declaring that the company had no duty to indemnify its insured for a settlement of over $6 million.
- Represented manufacturing company in mandamus proceeding in which Texas court of appeals clarified the discoverability of settlement agreements
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., 1992)
- Phi Delta Phi
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1989)
- Texas, 1992
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth, Seventh, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
Professional and Community Activities
- Chair, Austin Bar Association Civil Appellate Section, May 2010 – May 2011
- Presiding Officer at the UT State and Federal Appeals Seminar in Austin, June 4th, 2010
- Austin Bar Association Civil Appellate Section, Secretary-Treasurer, May 2008 – May 2009
- Austin Bar Association Civil Appellate Section, Council Member, May 2006 – May 2008
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Third Court of Appeals Pro Bono Pilot Committee Member, 2008 – 2010
Speeches and Presentations
- Moderator, Panel Discussion of Third Court of Appeals Justices, Austin Bar Association Bench Bar Conference, April 4, 2014
- Avoiding and Overcoming Post-Argument Remorse, UT Conference on State and Federal Appeals, June 14, 2013
- Appeal Basics: What Every Attorney Should Know, Solo and Small Firm Section of the Austin Bar Association, August 25, 2005
- Preserving Summary Judgment Error for Appeal, Civil Appellate Section of the Austin Bar Association, September 16, 2004
- Preserving Summary Judgment Error for Appeal, Civil Appellate Section of the Dallas Bar Association, May 15, 2003
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1999-present
- Named in Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Super Lawyers list for Appellate, 2003-04, 2006-18
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.