Thompson Coe insurance coverage litigators have experience handling environmental claims brought under comprehensive general liability policies. We fully understand the legal nuances inherent in environmental coverage disputes, including the evolution of the exclusion clauses contained in many policies. As a result, we can assist insurers with coverage investigation and analysis and play an active role in declaratory judgment actions.We have handled a wide variety of coverage disputes arising from contaminated property and personal injury issues, including, exposure to hazardous materials, leaking underground storage tanks, oil and gas spills, storage and transport of hazardous chemicals, professional negligence claims concerning environmental consultants, and soil cleanup.
Thompson Coe’s fine art, specie, and valuable articles practice reflects an in-depth understanding of specialty insurance lines and the unique issues arising from these types of claims and disputes. Our attorneys are experienced in assessing complex coverage, contract, and litigation issues related to art and valuable articles, and our history with high value and sensitive disputes positions us to effectively handle these matters for our diverse clients.
Thompson Coe has handled matters under a variety of coverages, including All Risks and Liability Specie policies, Fine Art policies, Collectibles policies, Jewelers’ Block policies, and Private Client Homeowners’ policies. We have assisted insurance carriers on various matters involving:
- Damage in Shipment
- Stolen Cash in Transit
- Antiquities Loss
- Recovery & Subrogation
Examples of Thompson Coe’s experience in these specialized areas of insurance include:
- Jewelry claims involving transport, safeguards, and staged robbery issues
- Napa Valley wine loss claim involving valuation and liability issues
- Shipment damage to multi-million dollar modern painting by renowned 20th century Dutch-American artist
- International wire transfer fraud claim involving art import company
- Coverage dispute involving claimed hurricane loss to print museum’s artwork on paper
- Valuation, restoration, and coverage issues involving lost dust jacket from recovered iconic, American-authored first edition book
- Baseball collection claim involving policy rescission issues
- Race car claim for property damage in transit
- Sports car collector’s claim of auction fraud
- Automobile dealer dispute involving maintenance of Italian luxury car
Cannabis & Alternative Medicine
Cannabis is listed as a Schedule I substance under the Federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA), however, 31 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia have adopted legal and regulatory frameworks at odds with this position, and recognize medical and legitimate commercial uses for cannabidiol (CBD) and other constituent compounds of cannabis. While there are safeguards, both in place and pending before Congress, that deter certain federal prosecutions of businesses operating within the cannabis industry, these are not permanent law and businesses and insurers need to be aware of this evolving landscape at all time.
Thompson Coe's knowledge of the law and emerging regulatory and business issues, coupled with the breadth and depth of our capabilities in areas like insurance coverage, civil litigation, employment, intellectual property, and transportation, allows us to partner with clients in the cannabis industry and provide a cost-effective legal counsel and long-range strategic planning.