Rodney D. Bucker is an experienced insurance regulatory and transactions lawyer who primarily represents insurance companies, agents and other insurance professionals with respect to their business, administrative, and regulatory needs.
Rod’s practice focuses on the formation, licensing, acquisition, merger, and dissolution of insurance entities with particular emphasis on specific transactions related to the insurance industry such as reinsurance, agency matters and regulatory compliance. His clients include insurance companies, insurance agents, insurance brokers, managing general agents, reinsurers, and premium finance companies, and his areas of insurance expertise include property, casualty, life, accident, health, surplus lines, and reinsurance.
- Represented an insurance holding company for formation of insurance company and affiliated managing general agency. Negotiated bank loans for $30M for capitalization. Drafted MGA and production agreements. Directed admissions and licensing in six additional states.
- Negotiated and drafted assumption reinsurance of $75M block of credit life business.
- Represented Agency in complex sale of $100M block of P&C business.
- Change of control of a Texas County Mutual Insurance Company.
- Represented insurance holding company in the acquisition of $100M auto book located in seven states from agency in bankruptcy and related assumption reinsurance.
- Conversion of a Texas Lloyds to stock company.
- Texas Tech University (J.D., 1976)
- Texas Tech University (M.B.A., 1973)
- Texas Tech University (B.A., 1969)
- Texas, 1982
Professional and Community Activities
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel
- Exchange Club of Lake Highlands
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters
- Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas Insurance Trust 2002-2008, Chairman 2008
- North Texas Association of Insurance Counsel
- United States Navy, Active duty 1969 -1972, Discharged to reserves as a Lieutenant
Speeches and Presentations
- Legislative Update Seminars for insurance clients of the firm presented by Thompson Coe in alternate Texas legislative years since 1989
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Insurance Law, 2014-2022