Michael W. Jones’ practice focuses on insurance, business and regulatory matters including acquisitions and sales, corporate reorganizations, shareholder and buy-sell agreements, employment contracts, business contracts, federal and state tax issues, and controversies. He has been involved with various business, corporate and tax matters for the firm's insurance clients, including retail agencies, wholesale agencies and brokers, insurance companies, reinsurers and service entities. This includes formation and licensing of insurance companies, brokers and agencies, as well as handling regulatory enforcement action.
Michael also handles business, corporate, tax and transactional matters for various business entities and individuals. He advises and assists clients with all aspects of business law.
Michael’s regulatory practice has included representation of insurance industry clients before the Texas Department of Insurance and the State Office of Administrative Hearings, as well as contested tax matters before the Comptroller's Office.
Mike has acted as counsel to various insurance trade associations, including serving as counsel on over 19 auto rate hearings. He has been involved in various litigation matters, including disputes over premium tax and the interpretation of various Texas Department of Insurance rules and regulations.
- Sale of life divisions of Texas and Oklahoma insurance companies
- Sale of insurance agencies through both asset sales and stock sales, including sale of s-corporation treated as an asset acquisition for tax purposes
- Formations and holding company structures
- Representation of sellers in sale of conference calling company to publicly traded company
- Tax driven reorganization of Texas entities
- Various tax matters before the Texas Comptroller
- Texas Department of Insurance enforcement actions against insurance companies, agencies and individual agents
- Formation and licensing of retail insurance agency as subsidiary of financial services holding company
- Texas licensing of Mexican casualty subsidiary of US insurance holding company group.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (LL.M., 1985)
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., 1984)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A., 1981)
- Texas, 1984
Professional and Community Activities
- Member State Bar of Texas
- Member Austin Bar Association
Speeches and Presentations
- Presentation on November 9, 2009 for the Texas Surplus Lines Association – A Few Legal Things (to be aware of)
- Presentation on July 24, 2006 for the Texas Surplus Lines Association – Covenants Not- to-Compete, Do They Work?
- Presentation on Texas Legislative Issues Briefing for insurance clients of the firm every odd-numbered year since 1989.
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell.