Jeff Otto devotes his practice to civil trial work with an emphasis on personal injury litigation, products liability, medical device litigation, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, chemical and toxic tort litigation, insurance litigation, and reinsurance.
Jeff has represented chemical manufacturers, physicians, and nursing homes in serious personal injury and death cases. Additionally, he has handled complex business litigation related to market conduct of insurance carriers and reinsurers.
Jeff is certified by the State Board of Legal Specialization in both Civil Trial Law (1987) and Personal Injury Trial Law (1994). Only 3% of all Texas attorneys hold this double certification.
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict for premises owner/construction company in a trucking accident at a gravel pit.
- Handled multiple fatality and burn cases involving trucking accidents on a statewide basis.
- Handled construction accidents involving the collapse of an entire hotel structure involving severe brain injured plaintiff in South Texas.
- Handled construction defect litigation with over 75 contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in Central Texas.
- Handled defense of attorneys involved in wrongful foreclosure action in federal court in Central Texas.
- Handled business litigation involving allegations of internal fraud by insiders in North and Central Texas.
- Handled complex medical device litigation involving both off-label use allegations as well as design and manufacturing defect claims.
- Handled complex reinsurance treaty claims in arbitration arising from receivership of Texas domiciled admitted carrier.
- Handled claims and suits involving toxic products alleged to have resulted in non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas.
- Handled premises liability claims against national retailer involving manufacturing defect claims where manufacturer was Chinese and beyond reach of U.S. jurisdiction.
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., 1980)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.B.A., 1997)
- Marketing and Finance
- Texas, 1980
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (TADC) – Speakers Committee
- Medmarc Defense Group
- Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA)
Speeches and Presentations
- "After the Accident – Now What?" Fleet Safety Symposium at UT / Pickle Research Center (2010)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel - Risk Transfer Agreements; The Express Negligence Rule; Ethyl Doctrine in Texas (2007)
- TADC/U.T. Construction Law Seminars – Cross-Examination of Experts (2004, 2007)
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2014 Austin Product Liability Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year." (Copyright 2013 by Woodard/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).
- Nominated by peers to The Best Lawyers in America® 2008-2020 in the field of Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants. (Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Super Lawyer for Personal Injury Defense: General- 2004-2014
- Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition for Personal Injury Defense: General 2010
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell.