An experienced litigator with first-chair trial experience, Chris has successfully defended clients at trial and on appeal, has prevailed in class action lawsuits as well as product and premises liability claims, recovered millions of dollars in insurance coverage disputes, and routinely advises and defends attorneys, doctors, nurses, architects, surveyors and appraisal management companies from professional liability claims.
- Motion to dismiss granted in putative class action involving 60,000 corn growers who sued their former counsel under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, as well as under various Minnesota statutes and common law theories. The putative class sought disgorgement of our clients’ attorney’s fees in excess of $100 million. (Kellogg v. Watts Guerra, LLP, et al., Case No. 18-2408-JWL, United States District Court for the District of Kansas)
- Summary judgment on all claims arising out of property damage allegedly caused by hail.
- Summary judgment dismissing first-party claim arising out of broken pipe and resulting water damage in insured’s home. (Syfko v. Encompass Indemnity Co., 2013 WL 4409430 (D. Minn. 2013))
- Secured a judgment of over $1.8 million in a coverage dispute between excess insurers arising out of a construction defect claim. The judgment included 100% of the client’s attorney’s fees. The case settled shortly after Chris defeated the defendant insurer’s motion to stay enforcement of the judgment
- Recovered over $1 million in coverage dispute arising out of multiple insurers’ duty to defend a common insured from a construction defect claim
- Summary judgment of all claims asserted against architect
- Dismissal of claims asserted against appraisal management company in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Tried to verdict personal injury claim against global crane and lifting equipment manufacturer in which liability and damages were contested
- Summary judgment in multimillion-dollar product defect claim involving a quadriplegic who fell from a ladder (Lenzen v. Garon Products, Inc., 2011 WL 5177713 (D. Minn. 2011))
- Developed nationwide defense strategy for global crane manufacturer used to secure dismissals in asbestos claims across the country
- Summary judgment in numerous product liability claims arising out of manufacture and/or sale of asbestos-containing products
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., 1998)
- National Moot Court Competition Team, Member
- Maynard Pirsig Moot Court, Finalist
- Hamline University (B.A., 1995)
- Political Science and Philosophy
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Wisconsin, 2010
- North Dakota, 2010
- California, 2007
- Minnesota, 1998
- United States District Court, Minnesota
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas
Professional and Community Activities
- California State Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- North Dakota State Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
Speeches and Presentations
- TCW Webinar: Claims Handling in the Frozen Tundra: April 10, 2018
- Minnesota Supreme Court Holds Hospital Liable for Negligence of Independent Contractor Physicians (August 12, 2020).
- Dentist Sues Cincinnati Insurance Over Pandemic Coverage (April 20, 2020).
- Chicago Area Businesses File Suit for Denied Business Interruption Claims (March 31, 2020).
- The Minnesota Supreme Court Holds the Uniform Arbitration Act Does Not Apply to Appraisals of Property Damage Claims Resulting from Fire (March 4, 2020).