Tim is experienced with all aspects of civil trial and appellate litigation in state and federal court, including fact investigation; case development and strategy; mediation, negotiation, and settlement; drafting and arguing motions; drafting and responding to discovery; document collection, review, and production; assisting in taking and defending depositions, including corporate representative preparation and drafting expert-witness questions; and drafting merits briefs on appeal.
An energetic, results-driven litigator, Tim has a diverse array of public- and private-sector experience both inside out outside the legal profession, giving him a unique perspective on the legal and regulatory environment in which his clients operate. Before becoming a lawyer, Tim worked as a stockbroker for a Fortune 500 firm, and, before joining Thompson Coe, he served as General Counsel to one of Texas’ most senior state senators. Today, he devotes his practice primarily to civil litigation and appeals, with an emphasis on insurance defense, products liability, professional responsibility, premises liability, and labor and employment.
- Drafted successful Motion to Dismiss Appeal for Want of Prosecution in a personal injury suit against a beverage distributor brought by a plaintiff allegedly injured by one of its drivers.
- Drafted successful Motion for Summary Judgment in a suit against a premises owner by the injured employee of its subcontractor.
- Drafted successful Motion to Dismiss a suit against a homeowners’ association based on the Texas Citizens Participation Act.
- Drafted significant portion of motion that successfully secured summary judgment on five of the six causes of action on which summary judgment was sought in a suit against a private school involving injury to a child.
- Drafted all or significant portions of successful Daubert motions in several cases.
- Drafted successful motions for leave to file counterclaim and cross-claim business breach-of-contract action involving FDA approval of medical device.
- Argued successful Motion to Dismiss for Want of Prosecution against sympathetic pro se litigant in car crash case against bus company.
- Member of team that secured nonsuit against safety-device manufacturer for commercial lawnmowers; contributed significant research and drafting, including drafting.
- Supported trial team defending major automotive manufacturer in wrongful-death design-defect action in Georgia state court.
In addition to his successful motion practice, Tim has on numerous occasions secured favorable resolution of client’s matters without the need for litigation.
- Drafted Motion for Summary Judgment in dog-bite case against apartment community that successfully persuaded plaintiff’s counsel to nonsuit.
- Drafted letter to opposing counsel in professional liability case advancing legal theory that successfully persuaded him to withdraw his client’s demand.
- Drafted damages analysis that persuaded plaintiff’s counsel to negotiate settlement rather than resist appeal, despite having obtained a default judgment against our client before we were retained.
- Cornell Law School (J.D., 2007)
- Cornell International Law Journal, Articles Editor
- CALI Award-Financial Institutions
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 2004)
- Highest Honors
- Special Honors in Liberal Arts
- Special Honors in English
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Texas, 2008
- New York, 2008
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- "An Unobeyable Law is not a Law: Lon Fuller's 'Desiderata' Reconsidered," Vol. 7 Drexel Law Review365 (2015)
- "A Swindle with Big Words and Virtues: Leiter on Dworkin and 'Nonsense Jurisprudence'," Vol. 35 North Carolina Central Law Review260 (2013)
- "Trappings of Legality: Judicialization of Dispute Settlement in the WTO, and its Impact on Developing Countries," Vol. 39 Cornell International Law Journal811 (2006)