Steven M. Augustine has a diverse practice that includes the representation of both companies and individuals in professional liability, products liability, negligence, premises liability, and wrongful death actions.
Steve also defends personal and commercial lines insurance carriers in coverage disputes arising out of personal injury, environmental pollution, and construction defects claims. Steve frequently provides advice on issues related to additional insured status, shared defense obligations, and contractual indemnity disputes.
Previously, Steve represented the Texas Department of Insurance in enforcement actions involving property and casualty carriers. As such, he has a firm understanding of Texas' insurance regulatory landscape. His experience with the Department also allows him to assist clients with consumer complaints, enforcement actions, contested case proceedings, licensing, rulemaking, and policy form filings.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an attorney who had been sued for alleged invasions of privacy arising out of an underlying medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a law firm involved in a wrongful foreclosure and unfair debt collection practices lawsuit.
- Defended a local car dealership in a jury trial against allegations of fraud.
- Represented a property management company in wrongful death case stemming from an apartment fire.
- Obtained a dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction for a financial advisor in a malpractice and fraud lawsuit.
- Negotiated a resolution to a national restaurant chain's lease dispute with its commercial landlord.
- Represented tax professionals, accountants, and financial advisors in lawsuits involving Internal Revenue Code Sections 412(i) and 419(e).
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.S., 2002)
- with highest honors
- South Carolina, 2015
- Texas, 2008
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law Section
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division and Litigation Section
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
Speeches and Presentations
- Going for the Shutout: Strategies for Minimizing Damages from the Tort Reform Playbook, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2013).
- Medicare Update: Please Don't Scream at Us!, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2013).
- Update on Duty to Defend and the Continuous or Progressive Injury and Damages Exclusion, Insurance and Tort Law Update (2012).
- Your Fender-Bender is Their Policy Limits Dream: Defending the Low-Speed Collision, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2012).
- What Are We Supposed to Do We Do with Medicare Settlements?, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2012).