Steven M. Augustine has a diverse practice that includes the representation of both companies and individuals in professional malpractice, product liability, catastrophic injury, and commercial disputes. Additionally, Steve routinely defends personal and commercial lines insurance carriers in coverage actions arising out of personal injury, environmental pollution, construction defect, and property damage claims. Steve also has extensive experience representing clients in administrative hearings and frequently provides advice to clients navigating complicated regulatory disputes. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, insurers, lawyers, accountants, insurance agents, financial advisors, property owners associations, and small and large businesses.
Steve has first and second chair trial, administrative hearing, and arbitration experience and has also handled numerous matters on appeal. Steve is licensed in both Texas and South Carolina.
- Obtained summary judgment for a law firm client related to a failed $14 million dollar transaction involving non-performing loans.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice in an ERISA lawsuit on behalf of an employee benefits consulting company.
- Defended and negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a CPA and auditing firm in a $72 million qui tam suit related to alleged violations of the False Claims Act.
- Obtained summary judgment for a law firm in suit alleging malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and violations of the DTPA arising out of underlying medical malpractice and product liability claims.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement of a class action lawsuit against a national apartment management company over alleged statutory violations.
- Obtained mandamus relief ordering a trial court to lift an abatement of a legal malpractice lawsuit.
- Obtained a take nothing verdict in an accounting malpractice case arising out of a multi-million dollar divorce.Obtained summary judgment in favor of an attorney who had been sued for alleged invasions of privacy arising out of an underlying medical malpractice lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a law firm involved in a wrongful foreclosure and unfair debt collection practices lawsuit.
- Defended a local car dealership in a jury trial against allegations of fraud.
- Represented a property management company in wrongful death case stemming from an apartment fire.
- Obtained a dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction for a financial advisor in a malpractice and fraud lawsuit.
- Negotiated a resolution to a national restaurant chain's lease dispute with its commercial landlord.
- Represented tax professionals, accountants, and financial advisors in lawsuits involving Internal Revenue Code Sections 412(i) and 419(e).
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.S., 2002)
- with highest honors
- South Carolina, 2015
- Texas, 2008
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law Section
- Defense Research Institute
- Houston Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
Speeches and Presentations
- Going for the Shutout: Strategies for Minimizing Damages from the Tort Reform Playbook, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2013).
- Medicare Update: Please Don't Scream at Us!, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2013).
- Update on Duty to Defend and the Continuous or Progressive Injury and Damages Exclusion, Insurance and Tort Law Update (2012).
- Your Fender-Bender is Their Policy Limits Dream: Defending the Low-Speed Collision, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2012).
- What Are We Supposed to Do We Do with Medicare Settlements?, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update (2012).