Steve Wood is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in a wide variety of areas, including construction law, professional liability, serious personal injury, products liability, contract disputes, commercial litigation, claims against insurance companies (defense), and representation of churches, charities, and other non-profit organizations.
In construction matters, he has represented owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals in a number of complex, multi-party, high stakes cases.
In professional liability matters, he has defended architects, engineers, lawyers, real estate professionals, medical professionals, and accountants.
He has defended non-profit entities against claims for sexual harassment or other alleged misconduct by officers, employees, or representatives.
In all of these cases, Steve’s focus is to investigate promptly, evaluate early, and then provide practical, cost-effective advice to the client.
The majority of his work has been in state and federal court in the Central Texas area, i.e., Austin, Texas, and any location within roughly a 100-mile radius, including San Antonio, Waco, Temple, Belton, Killeen, Georgetown, Round Rock, San Marcos, New Braunfels, Burnet, and Bryan/College Station.
- Defended an architecture firm against design claims arising from major spontaneous glass breakage in downtown high-rise building.
- Defended an architectural firm against design claims arising from a fatality accident in a parking garage.
- Defended an architectural firm against design claims based on water intrusion and foundation problems in a commercial building.
- Won a jury verdict in favor of a Fortune 500 equipment manufacturer against a products liability claim by the City of Dallas.
- Won a verdict in favor of a radio station engineering group in a breach of contract case.
- Defended a large, regional general contractor against construction defect claims by a local municipality related to a large water treatment facility.
- Won a jury verdict in favor of an oil field products company for product disparagement in a commercial litigation case against a Fortune 500 company.
- Defended a civil engineering company against claims brought by the U.S. Department of Justice for violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Defended an Austin-area church against allegations that a child was injured while in the church’s care and control.
- Defended an Austin-area church against allegations that a child was sexually abused by a church representative.
- Defended a regional civil engineering firm against claims that defective design work caused property damage and adverse environmental impact.
- Defended a large insurance company against claims of improper claims handling and breach of contract by a Fortune 500 plastics manufacturer.
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- cum laude
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 1976)
- English Literature and Art History
- University of Kansas (B.S., 1974)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Texas, 1986
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 1988
Professional and Community Activities
- Volunteer Legal Services – free representation of low-income clients (1988 to present)
- Barton Oaks Neighborhood Association