Directors & Officers
Shawn Phelan represents professionals, corporations and other clients in securities, corporate governance, malpractice and other litigation matters. Shawn has substantial experience representing broker/dealers, registered representatives, and officers and directors in securities and commercial matters involving a wide variety of business litigation issues, including securities fraud, business torts, deceptive trade practices, construction, unfair competition, corporate shield and alter-ego claims, and professional liability. Shawn has also represented numerous parties in class action litigation.
- Represented broker-dealers and registered representatives in defending arbitrations involving investor suitability and fraud claims.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit seeking to hold director personally liable for corporate debts.
- Defended insurance agents and agencies against investor claims of unsuitable annuities and insurance products.
- Represented officers and directors in claims asserted by landlord seeking to pierce the corporate veil.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of corporate officer in lawsuit in bankruptcy court seeking to hold the officer responsible for contract signed by officer on behalf of debtor.
- Represented clients in class action litigation asserting statutory violations of 10b-5, RICO, RESPA, and common law claims.
- Represented real estate developer in dispute with co-venturer.
- Defended corporations in copyright infringement claims.
- Defended attorneys and law firms in securities fraud claims under the Texas Securities Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of local law firm sued in bankruptcy court by bankruptcy trustee for turnover of legal fees.