Samantha represents and advises insurers on complex insurance coverage disputes and bad faith claims arising under commercial general liability, auto, employer's liability, and excess/umbrella policies. She litigates complicated insurance coverage actions in state and federal court involving the duty to defend and indemnify, additional insured coverage, and choice of law issues, in addition to cases involving contractual and extra-contractual claims.
She regularly counsels insurers on contractual rights and obligations, duties under the Stowers doctrine, and priority of coverage where numerous carriers are involved. She frequently assists clients with pre-litigation coverage analysis, coverage position letters, declaratory judgment actions, and alternative dispute resolution.
Before joining Thompson Coe, Samantha’s practice focused on litigation in a variety of matters including premises liability, products liability, and wrongful death cases. Samantha was also a former prosecutor in the Bronx, New York.
- Favorable resolution of declaratory judgment action brought on behalf of commercial general liability insurer involving application of the Bodily Injury to Contractors' or Subcontractors' Employees Exclusion and the duty to defend and indemnify.
- Favorable resolution of bad faith action involving claims for additional insured coverage in several underlying lawsuits and violations of the Texas Insurance Code.
- Defended insurer in a lawsuit involving contractual and extra-contractual claims resulting in amicable settlement.
- Represented insurers in several declaratory judgment actions involving complex coverage disputes and application of policy exclusions and language.
- Coverage counsel concerning various types of claims, including those involving construction defects, construction accidents, pipeline accidents, pollution, and auto liability.
- Obtained summary judgment for specialty insurance organization involving choice of law and successor liability issues.
- Obtained summary judgment for seismic services company on gross negligence claim.
- Conducted several bench trials for misdemeanor and felony level cases involving property crimes, drugs, and weapons charges.
- Pace University School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- magna cum laude
- University Merit Scholarship
- Pace Law Review, Case Notes & Comments Editor
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., 2010)
- Texas, 2016
- New York, 2014
- New Jersey, 2013
- United States District Court, Northern, Western, Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Bar Association, Insurance Section, 2016-present
- Dallas Bar Association, Insurance Section, 2016-present
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, 2016-present
- University of North Carolina General Alumni Association, 2010-present
- Additional Insured Coverage: Know Your Limitations, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, December 17, 2018
- First Amendment Rights for Publishers and the Distribution of Unsolicited Magazines to Inmates, Pace Law Review, 2013