Letty Aguilar’s defense experience includes a diverse range of litigation and counseling in numerous practice areas including labor and employment law, commercial and consumer related matters, professional liability, insurance law and coverage, and general litigation. Letty also has prior experience in defending motor vehicle accidents, products liability, premises liability, construction defects cases. Letty believes in taking an efficient and strategic approach to litigating cases, being responsive to clients and putting forth an aggressive defense in a cost-efficient manner. Letty also works with employers to address all of their human resources legal needs, ranging from litigation avoidance strategies, reducing legal risk and exposure, to full representation and defense in ongoing matters.
Labor & Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Letty represents employers and their leadership in discrimination and retaliation lawsuits and charges of discrimination, wage claims, suits for breach of contract and various employment-related torts, and suits for violation of state and federal statutes, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN), and the Texas workers’ compensation retaliation statute.
- Letty also conducts extensive workplace investigations involving allegations of harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims, and provides employers counseling and recommendations based upon investigative findings.
- Letty represents numerous employers before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), Department of Labor (DOL) and obtained favorable rulings and dismissals of Charges of Discrimination.
- Letty provides counseling to employers regarding employment contracts, severance agreements, non-competes, other restrictive covenants, employee handbooks and corporate policies.
Commercial and Consumer Related Litigation
- Letty represents and defends businesses, their directors and officers, in a variety of commercial and consumer disputes, including breach of contract claims, claims of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentation, Texas Insurance Code, Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Texas Debt Collection Act, and Texas Securities Act cases.
Professional Liability Litigation
- Letty represents a wide range of individuals and companies, including insurance agents/brokers, third-party administrators, debt collectors, property inspectors, and homeowners’ associations.
Insurance Litigation and Coverage (former)
- Letty previously represented insurances carriers against allegations of breach of contract, Insurance Code violations, as well as DTPA. Her representation included both commercial and personal line policies, as well as third-party dispute coverage.
General Liability Litigation (former)
- Letty previously represented business, individuals, and insurance companies in defending general liability matters arising from motor vehicle accidents, property damage, product liability, premises liability, personal injury, wrongful death, and construction defects cases.
- South Texas School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A. Government and Sociology, 2007)
- Texas, 2013
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Association, Member (Labor & Employment, Business Law, Consumer Law, Litigation, Corporate Counsel Sections)
- Austin Bar Association, Member (Labor & Employment Section)
- Class of 2019 Leadership Academy of the Austin Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Member
Speeches and Presentations
- MeToo, Sexual Harassment and LGBT Issues, Lunch and Learn, January 21, 2019
- Coronavirus Q&A Presentation, June 5, 2020