Letty Aguilar has defense experience across a diverse range of practice areas including labor and employment law, commercial and consumer related matters, professional liability, insurance law and coverage, and general litigation. In her current labor and employment practice, Letty works with businesses to address all of their human resources legal needs, ranging from litigation avoidance strategies, reducing legal risk and exposure to full representation and defense in ongoing matters.
Letty believes in taking an efficient and strategic approach to litigating cases, being responsive to clients, and putting forth an aggressive defense in a cost-effective manner.
Labor & Employment (Counseling & Litigation)
- Letty represents employers and their leadership in discrimination and retaliation lawsuits and charges of discrimination, wage claims, suits for breach of contract and various employment-related torts, and suits for violation of state and federal statutes, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN), and the Texas workers’ compensation retaliation statute.
- Letty provides daily advice and counseling to employers and their leadership regarding handling complex HR issues, compliance with various employment statutes, internal procedures, company policies, trainings, investigations, and proactively avoiding employee complaints.
- Letty conducts employment law training presentations and extensive workplace investigations involving allegations of harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims, and provides employers counseling and recommendations based upon investigative findings.
- Letty represents numerous employers before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), Department of Labor (DOL) and obtained favorable rulings and dismissals of Charges of Discrimination.
- Letty provides counseling to employers regarding employment contracts, severance agreements, non-competes, other restrictive covenants, employee handbooks, and corporate policies.
Commercial and Consumer Related Litigation
- Letty represents and defends businesses, including their directors and officers, in a variety of commercial and consumer disputes, including breach of contract claims, claims of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and misrepresentation.
General Liability Litigation
- Letty represents business, individuals, and insurance companies in defending general liability matters arising from automobile construction defect, property damage, premises liability, personal injury, and wrongful death.
- South Texas School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.A. Government and Sociology, 2007)
- Texas, 2013
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Association, Member (Labor & Employment, Business Law, Consumer Law, Litigation, Corporate Counsel Sections)
- Austin Bar Association, Member (Labor & Employment Section)
- San Antonio Bar Association
- San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo, volunteer
Speeches and Presentations
- MeToo, Sexual Harassment and LGBT Issues, Lunch and Learn, 2019
- Coronavirus Q&A Presentation, 2020
- EEO and Retaliation Training Presentations, 2021