Lauren Doughty focuses her practice on the representation of businesses and insurance companies involved in personal injury and property damage litigation in state and federal courts throughout Texas.
Her work includes defending both large corporations and small business owners in personal injury lawsuits involving premises liability, product liability, construction defect, catastrophic injury and wrongful death claims. Her first-party experience includes representing insurance carriers against allegations of breach of contract, bad faith, deceptive trade practices and Insurance Code violations.
Lauren approaches every case with an attention to detail. She works tirelessly for her clients and understands the importance of frequent and timely communication, always explaining the process to keep them as informed as possible.
She is a graduate of Baylor University School of Law. At Baylor, Lauren was a member of the Order of Barristers, a finalist in the Dawson & Sodd, P.C. Moot Court Competition, a recipient of the W. Frank Newton Best Brief Award, and Vice President of her 3L class. Outside of class, she clerked for the Third Court of Appeals of Texas, where she assisted Justice Bob Pemberton in research and writing published opinions.
Prior to law school, Lauren graduated from the Texas A&M University honors program with a degree in Political Science and double minors in Business and Psychology. She graduated summa cum laude and was awarded membership in Phi Beta Kappa, an honors society limited to the top 1% of graduates.
- Successfully represented clients in dozens of contested hearings and final trials
- Successfully represented clients in dozens of alternative dispute resolutions, including mediations and arbitrations;
- Authored, argued and won multiple summary judgment motions in Texas State Courts and Federal Courts on behalf of large corporations and small business owners in personal injury lawsuits;
- Authored, argued and won multiple summary judgment motions in Texas State Courts and Federal Courts on behalf of insurance companies in lawsuits involving property damage or underinsured/uninsured motorist claims;
- Represented numerous commercial property carriers in a wide range of coverage property disputes;
- Represented numerous business clients in complex, multi-party lawsuits involving premises liability, product liability, construction defect, catastrophic injury and wrongful death;
- Represented numerous insurance clients in lawsuits involving claims for breach of contract, bad faith, deceptive trade practices and Insurance Code violations.
- Advised and counseled insurance clients on legislative and regulatory issues; and
- Defended numerous Fortune 500 companies in first-party and third-party lawsuits.
- Baylor University School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- W. Frank Newton Best Brief Award, 2012
- Finalist, P.C. Moot Court Competition, 2012
- Order of the Barristers
- Texas A&M University (B.A. Political Science, 2009)
- Summa Cum Laude
- Phi Beta Kappa, University Honors Program
- Texas, 2013
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas, 2019
- Texas state courts, 2013
Professional and Community Activities
- Thompson Coe, Retreat Committee, 2018 -2019
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, 2013 – Present
- Austin Bar Association, 2013 - Present
- Texas Aggie Bar Association, 2013 - Present
- Baylor Law Alumni Network, 2013-Present • State Bar of Texas, 2013- Present
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2013 - Present
- Vice President, 3L class, 2012-2013
- Phi Beta Kappa – Honors Society, 2009- Present
Speeches and Presentations
- Thompson Coe Dallas Claims Association Presentation, 2019, Topic: Appraisal in Texas: New Developments and Impact on Claim Handling
- Zinda & Davis CLE Presentation, 2014, Topic: Tracing of Separate Property Assets
- The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch
- Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2021-2022
- AVVO Lawyer Directory Rating of ‘Excellent’
- AVVO Clients Choice Award 2015
- Assisted Justice Bob Pemberton in drafting published opinions during judicial clerkship with Third Court of Appeals, February - May, 2013