Labor & Employment Experience
Laura Alaniz’s practice includes representing employers and their leadership in various employment matters arising under federal and state law, including matters involving discrimination and harassment, retaliation, suits for breach of contract and various employment-related torts, and suits for violation of state and federal statutes, such as the FLSA, FMLA, WARN, and the Texas workers’ compensation retaliation statute.
She also regularly advises clients on handling complex HR issues and compliance with various employment statutes and devising strategies for addressing workplace issues.
- Obtained a take nothing judgment on behalf of a road construction company in lawsuit involving allegations of sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief on behalf of financial services company against employee who was in violation of non-compete agreement
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a lawsuit alleging national origin discrimination, age discrimination and retaliation
- Obtained summary judgment for a large national retailer in a negligence and gross negligence lawsuit on basis that claims were barred by worker compensation statute
- Obtained summary judgment for trucking company in case alleging FMLA interference and FMLA retaliation claims
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of plumbing company involving allegations of wrongful termination under Sabine Pilot
- Obtained summary judgment for legal aid organization in case involving racial discrimination
- Obtained summary judgment for employer in lawsuit involving claims of wrongful termination, slander and retaliation
- Obtained summary judgment for CPA firm in lawsuit where former employee alleged breach of contract and promissory estoppel
- Obtained summary judgment on defamation claim brought by former employee against former employer
- Represented various employers' in various litigation to enforce non-compete agreements
- Successfully represented and advocated for clients before various federal agencies, including EEOC, OSHA, NLRB, DOL, and many state agencies
- Defended produce company in wage and hour collective action
- Negotiated favorable settlements for a number of employers in lawsuits alleging breach of employment contracts, discrimination and harassment, wage and hour, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc.