Community Associations Experience
Laura Alaniz’s practices includes representing property owners' associations, their directors and officers, and management companies in a variety of commercial disputes, including breach-of-contract claims, claims of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and misrepresentation, Deceptive Trade Practices Act cases, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act cases, and community association and condominium governance issues.
- Defended numerous claims against property owners' associations and board members regarding claims involving board governance, enforcement of deed restrictions, challenges to lien foreclosures, architectural control committee decisions, and counter-claims in assessment disputes
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of board member accused of using the corporation’s funds for her benefit
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of homeowners association in lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and breach of the restrictive covenants
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of homeowners association, and management company in lawsuit alleging violations of Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of homeowners association in lawsuit alleging wrongful foreclosure
- Obtained favorable dismissal on behalf of homeowners association in which homeowner alleged that the homeowners association had violated the fair debt collection statute
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of homeowners association after filing 91a Motion to Dismiss and Anti-Slapp motion
- Obtained the dismissal of an action brought against a homeowners association involving an alleged improper foreclosure.