Joe De Hope's practice focuses on insurance coverage, bad faith, professional liability defense and complex litigation in the state and federal courts. His coverage practice includes providing coverage opinions relating to personal and commercial lines of insurance, including automobile claims, homeowners claims, Special Investigation claims, commercial general liability, property and casualty, domestic and international, employment (EPLI), directors and officers (D&O), and life and disability matters.
Joe's professional liability practice includes defending attorneys, accountants, insurance agents, real estate agents, mortgage loan brokers, appraisers, architects and professional engineers. In addition to litigating coverage, he has tried cases to verdict involving personal injury, products liability, governmental liability and punitive damages.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (J.D.)
- University of California (B.A.)
- Diablo Valley College (A.A.)
- California, 1977
- United States District Court, Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Professional and Community Activities
- California State Bar - Professional Liability Insurance Committee
- California State Bar - Administration of Justice Committee (past Chair)
Speeches and Presentations
- "Puff, The Magic Negotiating Tool", ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 4, 2016;
- "Young Lawyer Track—"Bending the Cost Curve" in Long-Tail Liability Coverage: The Berkshire Hathaway Strategy", Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 6, 2015;
- "Cyber Liability: Understanding Coverages & Legal Issues for Broker-Agents", IBA West's Blue Ribbon Conference, Kona, Hawaii, May 2012;
- "The Intersection of Risk", RIMS Golden Gate Chapter Meeting, March 2012;
- “Between a Rock and Hard Place: The Risks and Rewards of Broker Involvement in Coverage Disputes”, Hinshaw’s Annual Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2010;
- “E&O Better Customer Management – Risk Manage Your Agency”, Insurance Brokers & Agents of the West (IBA West), webinar, September 2010;
- “Lessons Learned from E&O Claims, Parts I and II”, Insurance Brokers and Agents of the West (IBA) 24th Annual Blue Ribbon Conference, Kohala Coast, Hawaii, May 2010;
- “The Underwriters Options: To Re-Draft or Not to Re-Draft”, Hinshaw’s 2009 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2009;
- “Insurance Agents or Brokers: If You Are Sued, These are the Top 10 Questions Your Attorney Will Ask You”, and “Top 10 Tips to Avoid Attorneys Altogether”, Professional Insurance Associates, San Carlos, California, October 2008.
- Co-author of chapters on Insurance Binders and Certificates of Insurance published by Agents of America;
- “Suggestions for Insurance Agents Responding to Questions Regarding Mold”, Commentary section, Mealey’s Litigation Report: Insurance Broker Liability, Vol 4, #5, July 2008;
- “Insurance Agents or Brokers: If You Are Sued, These are the Top 10 Questions Your Attorney Will Ask You – Also, Top 10 Tips to Avoid Attorneys Altogether”, co-author, Commentary section, Mealey’s Litigation Report: Insurance Broker Liability, Vol 3, #6, August 2007.
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbellu