Joanna’s practice focuses on commercial, transactional, and insurance litigation matters. After law school, Joanna practiced at a Manhattan firm in the area of antitrust.
Her practice encompasses an expanding spectrum of clients. She has experience in handling commercial litigation (including contract disputes); commercial real estate contracts/leases; insurance defense and coverage litigation; products liability matters, construction defect litigation, professional negligence, and bad faith litigation. Additionally, she has been responsible for the negotiation- and occasionally, the translation – of contracts while maintaining consistency throughout the client company.
Joanna has successfully prepared and argued motions before various State and Federal Courts in Texas and has participated in every aspect of pre-trial and trial preparation. In addition, Joanna has assisted her corporate clients in the drafting and negotiation of contracts in Latin America, and in the revision and re-drafting of vendor contracts for her governmental entity clients in the U.S.
- Negotiation and drafting of International Distribution Agreements, International Sales Agreements, Collaboration Agreements, and Data Protection Agreements including but not limited to Model Contracts with Standard Clauses (requiring compliance with International laws such as, Article 26(2) of EU Directive 95/46/EC for the transfer of Personal Data (Processors)) for an up-and-coming New York-based fashion designer.
- Negotiation and drafting of International Distribution Agreements for foreign corporations seeking to do business in the United States.
- Nicolas Esses v. Great Southern Life Insurance Company and Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company,Cause No. DC-14-01222.
- Rigginpro et al v. Clarendon America Casualty, Civil Action No. 4:08-cv-03491, In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Standard Waste Systems, Ltd., v. Mid-Continent Casualty Company and Oklahoma Surety Company; Civil Action No.: 3:08-CV-0881, in the United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division.
- Manuel Rubio Villatora v. Tireco, Inc., Shandong Linglong Tyre Co., Ltd. Linglong North America, LLC, and the Linglong Tire and Rubber Company of North America, LLC, Civil Action No. H-09-CV-3447, in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division.
- Rio Tech Company v. First Mercury Insurance Company; Civil Action No. 7:09-CV-163, in the United Stated District Court, Southern District of Texas McAllen Division.
- Michael Stephen Guajardo, Individually and as Personal Representative of the Estate of Michael Stephen Guajardo, Jr., A Minor, Deceased; and as Next Friend of Rachael Guajardo, A Minor; and Tanya Guajardo, Individually v. Nankang Rubber Tire Corporation, Ltd.; Nankang U.S.A., Inc.; K.H.H. Enterprises Company, Ltd. and Tireco, Inc.; Cause No. 3:04-CV-02660-M, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division.
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Fifth District Court of Appeals
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Justic David Lee Bridges (2001)
- The University of Texas at San Antonio (1998)
- Communications and Public Relations
- Minor in Economics and Political Science
- Texas, 2003
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Speeches and Presentations
- Damages in First Party Cases, 19th Annual Insurance Symposium, March 30, 2012.
- Ripeness and Joinder, 18th Annual Insurance Symposium, April 1, 2011.
- Understanding the Differences Between Premises Liability and Negligence, Webinar 2010.
- Open Season! The Use of Extrinsic Evidence in the Post Guideone Era, 16th Annual Insurance Symposium, April 3, 2009.
- The Aftermath of Fiess – Ensuing Loss, Mold & Ambiguities, 14th Annual Insurance Symposium, March 30, 2007.