Jeff Janota devotes his practice to the defense of clients and insurers in civil litigation matters involving catastrophic injury, wrongful death, products liability, construction defect, professional liability, UM/UIM and bad faith.
Jeff routinely represents developers, property owners and management companies, general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, hotels, insurance companies, agents, transportation companies and drivers.
Jeff's approach to litigation focuses on early case evaluation and cost-effective resolution through settlement or dispositive motion. When early resolution is not possible, Jeff will not hesitate to take a case to trial or arbitration. Jeff has resolved hundreds of cases outside of trial and has successfully tried more than twenty cases to jury verdict.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a homeowner’s association involving claims brought by a homeowner
- Negotiated a favorable settlement against a media production company in a traumatic brain injury case.
- Obtained summary judgment for a major insurance carrier involving claims of breach of contract, bad faith, insurance code violations and deceptive trade practices related to damage claims arising from the Bastrop Wildfires.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for a national automotive parts distributor involving wrongful death resulting from an automobile collision.
- Obtained summary judgment for a motorcycle safety training company by enforcing a pre-injury release of liability.
- Handled defense of a property management company for severe spinal injuries resulting in quadriplegia arising from a diving incident.
- Successfully defended lawsuits through jury trial involving personal injuries arising out of motor vehicle collisions.
- Represented a national foundation repair company in litigation and arbitration of numerous disputes involving claims of breach of contract, breach of warranties, deceptive trade practices and negligence.
- Representation of numerous contractors and trades in a multitude of construction defect lawsuits involving residential, commercial and multifamily projects.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a major insurer involving allegations of breach of contract, insurance code violations and bad faith.
- South Texas College of Law (J.D., 1995)
- Southwest Texas State University (B.S., 1992)
- summa cum laude
- Texas, 1996
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Construction, Litigation and Insurance Sections
- Austin Bar Association (Litigation and Construction Sections)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (2016-present)
- Defense Research Institute (2016-present)
- LEED® Green Associate - Green Building Certification Institute
- Austin Bar Association, Board of Directors (2008-2009)
- Texas Bar Foundation - Life Fellow
- Elected Chair of the Travis County Construction Law Section, 2021
Speeches and Presentations
- “What’s New in the TRCP and How Does it Affect You?”, Texas Advanced Paralegal Seminar, 2014
- “New Texas Rules for Dismissals and Expedited Actions”, Texas Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association , 2013
- “Statutory and Contractual Duties of Design Professionals in Green Construction”, Half Moon, LLC, 2012
- “Contract Law for Engineers”, Half Moon, LLC, 2011
- “Liability for Worksite Injuries”, Ultimate Claims Handling XIII Seminar, 2008