Jay Scott Simon travels across Texas representing all sizes of carriers in the insurance industry on residential and commercial property first party matters. Jay has experience in the litigation of property damage, insurance coverage, and bad faith claims including hurricane, hail, mold, foundation, theft and fire losses. He also has experience with third party insurance defense, trucking, auto, banking, and medical malpractice litigation.
Jay has been a speaker to insurance carriers on various topics of interest to the insurance industry ranging from appraisal, to catastrophe litigation, to inspection protocol, and has consulted with carriers in making claims policies and guidelines.
- Defended insurance companies on hail litigation claims across Texas.
- Defended insurance companies in hundreds of Hurricane Rita and Ike lawsuits.
- Defended insurance companies in commercial property lawsuits involving fires and natural disasters.
- Advised major insurance companies in the drafting and implementation of claims handling guidelines.
- Handled all aspects of civil litigation, including discovery, summary judgments, trial and appeals in state and federal courts.
- George Washington Law School (J.D., 1998)
- Emory University, Goizueta School of Business (B.B.A., 1995)
- Texas, 1998
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern District of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
Speeches and Presentations
- "Navigating Your Way Through the Appraisal Process", 6th Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, 2013
- "Hurricane Litigation After Mediation Fails" Panel Discussion, Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- Panel Discussion, Handling Hurricane Ike Claims, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update 2009, Thompson Coe Houston Seminar (2009)
- Effective Property Inspections, 2008
- Understanding the Appraisal Provision, 2007
- Effective Selection and Use of Experts, 2006
- Concurrent Causation: How and When to Draw the Line, 2005
- Offers of Settlement in First-Party Cases, 2004
- The Stowers Doctrine, 2002
- D Magazine, Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40 in 2006.