This presentation provided an overview of premises liability law and related issues, including: (1) the enforceability of pre-liability releases and waivers; (2) third party actions for contribution and indemnity; and (3) the standard for recovering health care/medical expenses. After the completion of this presentation, the attendee should be familiar with the following:
- The standards of liability applicable to invitees, licensees, and trespassers;
- The duties owed by a premises owner in connection with the criminal acts of third parties;
- The duties owed by a premises owner in connection with incidents caused by the work of an independent contractor;
- The standards for asserting third party claims for indemnity and contribution, including what constitutes an enforceable indemnity agreement;
- The standard for the enforceability of a pre-incident/pre-liability release and waiver; and
- The standard for the recovery of health care/medical expenses by a claimant.