Charles Abbott is a highly skilled litigator with 15 years of experience in complex civil litigation, such as class-action defense, personal injury, intellectual property, employment, privacy, insurance defense, and TCPA. Proven track record of designing and implementing compliance programs and leading internal investigations for corporate clients alleged to have committed FCPA, UK Bribery Act, AML, fraud, bribery, global privacy, trade and export control, and environmental regulations across multiple industries.
- Supervised team defending 50+ personal-injury and slip-and-fall lawsuits for a large retailer and hotel in federal and state court in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
- Argued summary-judgment, discovery-related and other dispositive motions before federal and state courts in California and Nevada.
- Drafted summary-judgment and discovery-related motions in employment, intellectual property, TCPA, complex commercial, tort, and antitrust actions.
- Led trial team representing immigrant detainee alleging various personal-injury claims while being incarcerated in federal detention facility.
- Provided strategic advice to large and small businesses concerning risk management, trial and settlement strategy.
- Led discovery in numerous cases, including a sex-discrimination class action, resulting in the collection of millions of documents from hundreds of custodians.
- Supervised and trained junior attorneys in motion and discovery practice and case strategy.
- Led discovery and motion practice for a retailer accused of violating California environmental statutes and achieved a favorable settlement with no admission of liability.
- Responsible for strategy and motion practice leading to summary-judgment victory and later settlement of a nationwide class action against a financial services company.
- Led and worked on multiple internal investigations, concerning federal and state corruption, money laundering, trade sanctions, and environmental statutes, which involved interviewing employees, communicating with Board of Directors and senior officers, and negotiating settlements with federal and state prosecutors and regulators.
- Trained global workforce concerning a compliance training program to hundreds of employees and third party contractors.
- Developed and implemented a software onboarding solution, assessed the risk of third-party intermediaries for a worldwide retailer.
- Implemented and trained California employees at over 250 locations about a retail-and-pharmaceutical waste program.
- Created an environmental compliance program for a large logistics company, which was recently lauded by California state officials.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2003)
- <.i> cum laude
- University of California at Irvine (B.A., 1993)
- Political Science and English
- California, 2003
- Nevada, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Central, Easters, and Northern Districts of California