Chantel Cheatham counsels and represents employers before state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings before state and federal agencies. She also represents clients in cases involving Lanham Act claims and various commercial litigation claims.
Chantel’s employment litigation experience includes cases concerning alleged violations of various employment statutes, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, Sabine Pilot, and the Texas Labor Code.
Chantel also advises employers of all sizes regarding various human resources issues, including, but not limited to, the creation and evaluation of employee handbooks, conducting investigations, employee terminations, employee classification issues, and responding to employee complaints.
Chantel has also represented clients in matters involving allegations of state and federal trademark infringement, trademark dilution, trademark counterfeiting, false designation of origin, the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organization Act (“RICO”), breach of contract, unfair competition, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, conspiracy, fraud, the Stored Communications Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Texas Breach of Computer Security Law, and violations of the Texas Insurance Code.
- Obtained early dismissal of a federal lawsuit filed against an international security company.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of trucking company in which the plaintiff alleged various causes of action under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Obtained summary judgment for a large religious organization in which the plaintiff alleged disability discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of a hotel management company in a gender discrimination claim involving allegations of pregnancy discrimination.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of a staffing agency and its client in a Sabine Pilot claim.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of a staffing agency and its client in an age discrimination and retaliation case.
- Obtained favorable resolution on behalf of a homeowner’s association in a lawsuit filed by the City of Dallas alleging fair housing violations.
- The University of Texas School of Law (LL.M., 2013)
- Latin American and International Law
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 2007)
- University of Maryland, College Park (B.A., 2004)
- Texas, 2012
- New York, 2008
- District of Columbia, 2008
- United States District Court, Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Labor and Employment Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- 2015 Leadership Class
- Committee Member, Generation Generosity (Public Service)
- Committee Member, Lawyers Promoting Diversity
- William "Mac" Taylor American Inn of Courts, Barrister
- J.L. Turner Legal Association
- NEW Roundtable, Member
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Member
Speeches and Presentations
- "Marijuana, CBD, Vaping: Smoking Out Insurance!", Thompson Coe Webinar, April 16, 2019
- North Texas SHRM Legal Symposium, Presenter (September 2017)
- J.L. Turner Trial Advocacy CLE Series: “Evidence, Use of Exhibits, and Objections” (August 2015)