Alexis K. Caughey is a Senior Attorney in the Houston office of Thompson Coe and is a member of the Insurance Coverage practice group. Alexis is a native Houstonian with a diverse litigation background which currently focuses on insurance coverage litigation. Alexis is an experienced litigator, whose practice has spanned three cities, two states and over a decade of litigation. Alexis has been involved in a broad range of civil lawsuits and arbitration proceedings, in the areas of insurance coverage, general liability, construction, commercial litigation, premise liability, products liability, trucking, contractual disputes, medical malpractice, and employment litigation. Alexis is an impassioned advocate for her clients, whose courtroom ability and impactful legal briefing has earned her clients successful results.
Alexis started her law practice in Dallas and was personally mentored by her firm’s managing partner. While in Dallas, Alexis was able to draft appellate briefs and hone her court room skills through practical experience at a young age. Alexis next moved to New Orleans, Louisiana and began working a general liability defense docket. While in Louisiana, Alexis represented large insurance carriers in coverage disputes and direct actions. She also began a general liability docket defending insureds against third party claims, and a construction litigation docket representing general contractors and subcontractors in disputes ranging from public contracts to construction defects on large commercial structures. Alexis also represented hospitals and physicians against medical malpractice claims and municipalities against employment actions.
Since returning to Houston, Alexis’s practice has focused on insurance litigation, general liability defense, construction defect, and commercial litigation. She manages her own case docket, guiding disputes from inception to conclusion. Alexis works in both state and federal court and is proficient in all stages of the litigation process from depositions, to mediation, and the court house.
- Obtained dismissal via motion practice of employer in wrongful death action involving plant explosion in Houston’s United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Obtained dismissal via summary judgment on behalf of moving company against breach of contract and fraud action.
- Successfully defended against Anti-Slapp Motion seeking to dismiss suit based on non-disclosure agreement.
- Won bench trial for wrongful foreclosure and had client’s home loan discharged.
- Drafted briefs in the following successful appeals:
- Lemoine Co. v. Durr Heavy Constr., LLC, 15-1997 (La. App. 1 Cir. 10/31/16), 206 So. 3d 244 writ denied, 16-2100 (La. 1/13/17), 215 So. 3d 247.
- Celebration Church, Inc. v. Church Mut. Ins. Co., 16-245 (La. App. 5 Cir. 12/14/16), 216 So. 3d 1059.
- Cyganek v. A.J.’s Wrecker Service of Dallas, Inc., 2009 WL 1942184 (Tex. App.---Dallas July 8, 2009, no pet.).
- Karle v. Innovative Direct Media, Ltd., Co., 309 S.W.3d 762, (Tex. App.---Dallas 2010, no pet.)
- In re Campbell, Cause No. 03-10-00389-CV (Tex. App.---Austin, August 31, 2010, no pet.)
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D., 2008)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A., 2005)
- Government With Honors
- Louisiana, 2011
- Texas, 2008
- All state courts of Texas, 2008
- All state court of Louisiana, 2011
- United States District Court, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana