- * Board Certified. Please see attorney biography for more information.
Thompson Coe Recognized by Chambers USA as Band 1 in Insurance
Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, LLP has achieved a top ranking of "Band 1" for Insurance in Texas for work performed in 2014, and four attorneys have been recognized for their work in Insurance and Insurance: Regulation for Texas. This is the eleventh year in a row Thompson Coe has achieved this recognition.
Chambers USA editors state about Thompson Coe, "This firm earns positive recognition for its wide array of insurance services, which include regulatory and transactional matters and coverage claims. The team regularly represents some of the country's most prominent insurers, with a particular emphasis on catastrophe claims. The practitioners are adept at handling a multitude of claims including construction and builders' risk, life and health claims and professional liability. Recent highlights include defending New York Marine & General Insurance Company and Southern Marine and Aviation Underwriters in a dispute involving a marine cargo policy and an alleged loss of a significant amount of metallurgical coal. The case was heard before the Southern District Court of Texas and settled just prior to verdict.
Attorneys recognized in Chambers USA:
- Brian Martin, a partner in the Houston office, ranked "Band 1" in Insurance for Texas. Chambers USA states, Brian is a "leading insurance coverage attorney who frequently tries cases and is particularly strong on national liability and environmental work. One client enthused: "He is one of the top lawyers I have worked with. He is an outstanding litigator who is extremely conscientious and timely, and has gotten some outstanding results with very difficult cases."
- Jay Thompson is a "superb legislative and regulatory insurance attorney based out of the firm's Austin office. Clients lauded him as "knowledgeable about the Texas insurance code and understands its history and the unwritten rules." Thompson serves as counsel to numerous insurance company groups and trade associations." Jay is a partner is the Austin office and is ranked "Band 1" for Insurance: Regulation and "Band 3" in Insurance for Texas.
- Roger Higgins, a managing partner in the Dallas office, is ranked "Band 2" in Insurance for Texas. He focuses his practice on first party and bad faith claims and is particularly active on hail storm claims. An interviewee singled him out, saying: "He was the most knowledgeable lawyer in the room whenever we were working."
- Ellen Van Meir, partner in the Dallas office, joins the rankings this year and is adept at coverage, Stowers' liability and bad faith matters. She is described as "a superb lawyer who really stands her ground for her clients, handles the toughest work and has a mature practice."
According to the Chambers website, “Chambers USA ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America. The research is in-depth and client focused and the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations throughout the US and worldwide. It is also widely used by firms in all states for referral purposes. Law firms and individual lawyers are ranked in bands from 1-6, with 1 being the best.