- * Board Certified. Please see attorney biography for more information.
Thompson Coe Recognized by Chambers USA
Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, LLP has achieved a top ranking of "Band 1" for Insurance in Texas for work performed in 2013, and four attorneys have been recognized for their work in Insurance and Insurance: Regulation for Texas. This is the tenth year in a row Thompson Coe has achieved this recognition.
Chambers USA editors state about Thompson Coe, "This firm earns positive recognition for its wide array of insurance services, which include regulatory and transactional matters and coverage claims. The team regularly represents some of the country's most prominent insurers, with a particular emphasis on catastrophe claims. The practitioners are adept at handling a multitude of claims including construction and builders' risk, life and health claims and professional liability. Recent highlights include defending North River Insurance in a multi-million dollar jury trial regarding the liability of its insured, Interior Exterior, involving defective Chinese-manufactured drywall which emitted sulfur gases with the potential to corrode household metals.
Attorneys recognized in Chambers USA:
- Brian Martin, a partner in the Houston office, ranked "Band 1" in Insurance for Texas. Chambers USA states, Brian "is identified as 'probably the best coverage lawyer in Texas' and garners an overwhelming amount of respect. Commentators agree he is 'an outstanding speaker and writer.' Sources deem him to be "a true believer and a strong and zealous advocate for his carrier clients. He's really great to work with."
- Jay Thompson is "regarded by market sources as 'a premier insurance industry lobbyist and regulatory counsel. Peers comment that he is "a very formidable opponent and competitor" who is "extremely bright." He recently represented Progressive County Mutual Insurance and other insurers before the Texas Attorney General in advertising issues." Jay is a partner is the Austin office and is ranked "Band 1" for Insurance: Regulation and "Band 3" in Insurance for Texas.
- Roger Higgins, a managing partner in the Dallas office, is ranked "Band 2" in Insurance for Texas. According to Chambers USA, he "specializes in defending insurers against catastrophe claims. This expertise is illustrated by his continued representation of a major insurer against multiple Hurricane Ike lawsuits. Sources add that he is 'premier for bad faith insurance class actions.'"
- Ellen Van Meir, partner in the Dallas office, is ranked as "Up and Coming" for Insurance in Texas. "The 'Up and Coming' band lists those who do not yet have an established reputation but who are driving their firm's growth." Chambers USA states, she "is a new addition to the rankings and comes highly recommended by her peers. She represents major insurers in coverage litigation involving construction, E&O and property claims. She also advises on policy contract rights and obligations."
According to the Chambers website, “Chambers USA ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America. The research is in-depth and client focused and the guide is read by industry-leading companies and organizations throughout the US and worldwide. It is also widely used by firms in all states for referral purposes. Law firms and individual lawyers are ranked in bands from 1-6, with 1 being the best.