Steve Wood is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in civil litigation of a wide variety of professional malpractice claims.
He has defended architects, engineers, and other design professionals, as well as lawyers, real estate professionals, medical professionals, surveyors, and accountants.
In all of these cases, Steve’s focus is to investigate promptly, evaluate early, and then provide practical, cost-effective advice to the client.
- Defended a civil engineering company against claims brought by the U.S. Department of Justice for violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Defended a large civil engineering firm against claims that defective design work caused property damage and adverse environmental impact.
- Defended a Austin-area accountant against claims that negligent accounting practices prevented a client from detecting fraud by another party.
- Defended an Austin-area real estate agent against fraud, misrepresentation, and deceptive trade practices claims in the sale of real property.
- Defended an Austin-area lawyer against claims that his client incurred losses because documents in a major transaction were negligently drafted.
- Defended a San Antonio-area medical provider against claims that a patient developed serious medical problems because of inadequate care.
- Defended two Austin-area veterinarians against antitrust claims by the State of Texas.
- Defended a major architectural firm against claims by the University of Texas System that two large campus buildings were improperly designed.
- Defended a structural engineering firm against claims that the design of a condominium project was deficient from a structural standpoint.
- Defended a regional civil engineering firm against serious personal injury claims based on the electrocution of a construction worker.
Professional and Community Activities
- Volunteer Legal Services – free representation of low-income clients (1988 to present)
- Barton Oaks Neighborhood Association