Steve Wood is a trial lawyer with extensive experience in civil litigation in construction law.
He has represented owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and design professionals in a number of complex, multi-party, high stakes cases.
In all of these cases, Steve’s focus is to investigate promptly, evaluate early, and then provide practical, cost-effective advice to the client.
- Defended an architectural firm against design claims arising from a fatality accident in a parking garage.
- Defended an architectural firm against design claims based on water intrusion and foundation problems in a commercial building.
- Defended a large, regional general contractor against construction defect claims by municipality related to a large water treatment facility.
- Won a jury verdict in favor of a regional construction company against claims that inadequate safety measures by the general contractor caused an accident that seriously injured a worker.
- Defended a civil engineering company against claims brought by the U.S. Department of Justice for violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Defended a large civil engineering firm against claims that defective design work caused property damage and adverse environmental impact.
- Defended a major architectural firm against claims by the University of Texas System that two large campus buildings were improperly designed.
- Defended a masonry subcontractor against claims that defective construction work caused widespread damage to a office condominium buildings.
- Defended a structural engineering firm against claims that the design of a condominium project was deficient from a structural standpoint.
- Defended a paving subcontractor against claims that a retaining wall was constructed improperly and undermined the structural integrity of the entire project.
- Defended a regional civil engineering firm against serious personal injury claims based on the electrocution of a construction worker.
- Defended a regional architectural firm against claims that improper specification of waterproofing material led to pervasive water damage and mold in an elementary school building.
Professional and Community Activities
- Volunteer Legal Services – free representation of low-income clients (1988 to present)
- Barton Oaks Neighborhood Association