- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2003, Houston Business & Tax Law Journal
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2000, Spanish and Psychology
- Texas, 2003
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2010
Austin, Texas 78701
512-703-5047 direct | 512-708-8777 fax
Stephanie S. Rojo is a commercial litigator and is Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Stephanie has been repeatedly named a Texas Rising Star, and in 2017 and 2018 was named one of 50 Up-and-Coming Women Rising Stars by Texas Super Lawyers®.
Labor & Employment (Litigation & Counseling) – Stephanie represents employers and their leadership in discrimination and retaliation lawsuits and charges of discrimination, wage claims, suits for breach of contract and various employment-related torts, and suits for violation of state and federal statutes, such as the FLSA, the FMLA, WARN, and the Texas workers’ compensation retaliation statute. In addition, Stephanie has prepared hundreds of employment contracts, severance agreements, non-competes and other restrictive covenants, arbitration agreements, and employee handbooks and policies. Stephanie advises clients daily on handing complex HR issues, compliance with various employment statutes, and proactively avoiding employee complaints.
Commercial Litigation – Stephanie also represents businesses, non-profits, and their directors and officers in a variety of commercial disputes, including breach-of-contract claims, claims of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and misrepresentation, Deceptive Trade Practices Act cases, and community association and condominium governance issues.
- Obtained a jury verdict for an employer in a race discrimination lawsuit.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief against a physician who was in violation of his non-compete agreement.
- Obtained a favorable stipulation limiting damages and ultimately the favorable resolution of a lawsuit alleging, among numerous other claims, breach of employment contract by a company’s founders.
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a lawsuit alleging pregnancy and disability discrimination, affirmed on appeal by the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained a jury verdict for an employer in a Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuit for the alleged misclassification of an exempt employee.
- Obtained the voluntary dismissal of a race and national origin discrimination and retaliation claim pending against a restaurant chain following the plaintiff's deposition.
- Successfully advised a client on a 300-employee layoff including providing advice on avoiding disparate impact claims, WARN Act compliance, and severance packages, without litigation ensuing for the business.
- Obtained the dismissal of a student’s 42 U.S.C. §1983 claims against a school district in a federal case involving allegations of the use of excessive force by a school district police officer.
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, sexual harassment, Equal Pay Act violations, and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment on several claims by a custom homebuilder against a homeowners association, leading to the case’s resolution on highly favorable terms.
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a workers’ compensation retaliation lawsuit.
- Obtained the dismissal of an action brought against a homeowners association involving an alleged improper foreclosure, as well as sanctions against the plaintiff.
- Successfully represented and advocated for clients before various federal agencies, including EEOC, ICE, and DOL, and many state agencies.
- Negotiated favorable settlements for a number of employers in lawsuits alleging breach of employment contracts, discrimination and harassment, fraud, tortious interference, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc.
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Labor and Employment Law
- Austin Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section, Treasurer (2016-2017), Secretary, (2017-2018)
- State Bar of Texas, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Robert W. Calvert Inn of Court, Barrister
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), President of the Austin-San Antonio Local Chapter (2016-present), Member of the Management & Professional Liability Committee
- DRI, Employment and Labor Law Committee Member
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Co-Chair, Habitat for Humanity Committee, 2008-2009, Member, 2005-2010
Speeches and Presentations
- Employment Law from A to Z and ADA, FMLA, Workers’ Comp Bermuda Triangle, Independent Insurance Agents of Dallas, Inc. Monthly Meeting, August 16, 2017
- Shining Some Light on the Installation of Solar Panels in Deed Restricted Communities, State Bar of Texas Webcast, March 9, 2017
- The FLSA, Overtime, and Camps, and The ADA and Its Application to Campers, CAMPference, March 6, 2017
- Updating the FLSA Regulations, Hot-Button Issues, and Strategies for Avoiding Liability, Austin Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Meeting, September 7, 2016
- The DOL’s Final Overtime Regulations, Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA) Annual Conference, July 29, 2016
- Religious Freedom & Expression in Employment, CLM Professional Liability Conference, July 14-15, 2016
- Everything You Need to Know About Pregnancies and Breastfeeding in the Workplace, Webinar, June 15, 2016
- The Fair Labor Standards Act: Overview of White Collar Exemptions and Coming Changes, Austin Bar Association, Bench Bar Conference, April 15, 2016
- Navigating the Minefield: Best Practices When Terminating Employees, Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Chapter Meeting CLE, March 10, 2016
- Legal Essentials of ADA/FMLA/Work Comp, American Society of Safety Engineers’ (ASSE) Central Texas Chapter’s Professional Development Conference, December 3, 2015
- Employment Practices Trends: It’s Not Just the EEOC These Days, CLM Professional Liability Conference, June 5, 2015
- Modernizing the FLSA’s Regulations: How Far Will the DOL Go?, Austin Human Resource Management Association (AHRMA) Annual Conference, July 31, 2015
- Modernizing the FLSA’s Regulations: How Far Will the DOL Go?, Ninth Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., April 16, 2015
- Is Your Handbook Up to Date? How Not to let Your Employee Handbook be Used Against You, Eighth Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., March 6, 2014
- How to Fight (and Win) Unemployment Compensation Claims, Seventh Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., February 21, 2013
- The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act: What Employers and Their Insurers Need to Know, 7th Annual National Employment Practices Liability Insurance ExecuSummit Conference, October 2, 2012
- How to Document Performance and Disciplinary Issues to Avoid (or Win) Unemployment Litigation, Austin Human Resource Management Association Annual Conference, August 24, 2012
- Discovery Into a Plaintiff's Immigration Status, South Texas College of Law 25th Annual Employment Law Conference, July 19, 2012
- Disability Etiquette, In-House Client Seminar, July 12, 2012
- Texas Employment Law Update, In-House Client Seminar, April 10, 2012
- The New ADAAA Regulations, Sixth Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., January 11, 2012
- Texas Super Lawyers® - Up-and-Coming 50: 2017 and 2018 Women Texas Rising Stars List
- Texas Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars - 2007, 2008, 2011-2018
- Designation of Certified Litigation Management Professional: CLM Litigation Management Institute, hosted at Loyola University Chicago School of Law – October 2017
- H Texas Magazine, Houston Professionals on the Fast Track, 2008-2009