- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- Texas Tech University, B.A., 1999
- Texas, 2002
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8246 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Russell Dennis’ practice focuses primarily on representing insurers on coverage and litigation matters with insureds under a variety of types of insurance policies including general liability policies, workers’ compensation policies, personal and commercial automobile policies, and ERISA and non-ERISA life, health, accidental death and disability policies. Russell handles breach of contract and extra-contractual litigation arising out of claim and benefit disputes, as well as subrogation litigation arising from personal and commercial property and automobile claims. Russell has also handled various types of third party personal injury claims including premises liability and automobile claims, as well as construction defects claims. Russell has first and second chair trial experience in both jury and bench trials throughout Texas.
- First and second chair trial experience in a number of jury trials over motor vehicle accidents and premises liability claims.
- Represented corporate plaintiff as first chair attorney in bench trial in Bexar County involving breach of contract resulting in a verdict award of all damages sought; verdict upheld on appeal by the San Antonio Court of Appeals, Guajardo v. Texas Waste Systems, 2008 WL 182871 (Tex. App.—San Antonio Jan. 23, 2008).
- Represented corporate defendant as first chair attorney in bench trial in Bexar County involving claim for recovery of over $200,000 in municipal ordinance fees resulting in a complete defense verdict.
- Represented national insurer in a bad faith case arising from the handling of a workers’ compensation claim resulting in an amicable settlement during the appeal process.
- Represented insurers in bad faith litigation in state and federal court relating to workers’ compensation claims, occupational accident claims, disability claims, and life, health and accidental death claims.
- Obtained numerous summary judgments and dismissals of bad faith cases in state and federal courts including cases where the amount in controversy exceeded $1,000,000.
- Represented national insurer in bad faith case in Dallas County over handling of workers’ compensation claim; obtained dismissal of all claims based on plea to the jurisdiction; dismissal upheld by the Dallas Court of Appeals, Thomas v. American Home Assurance Company, 2013 WL 1857105 (Tex. App.—Dallas May 3, 2013).
- Represented national insurer in bad faith case in the Northern District of Texas over $1,000,000 in disability benefits; obtained summary judgment dismissing claims in their entirety; Fifth Circuit upheld dismissal, Tolbert ex rel. Tolbert v. National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA, 657 F.3d 262 (5th Cir. 2011).
- Represented national insurer in bad faith case in the Western District of Texas where plaintiff was an Iraqi citizen who sought $2,000,000 in damages arising from handling of his claim for benefits in connection with injuries he sustained in an IED explosion while working as an interpreter and military contractor with a U.S. Army unit in Baghdad, Iraq; obtained dismissal of all claims; Fifth Circuit upheld dismissal; Nadheer v. Insurance Company of Pennsylvania, 2013 WL 69343 (5th Cir. Jan. 7, 2013).
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Member of the Dallas Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Section
Speeches and Presentations
- "Tips on Managing Your Claim File to Keep Bad Faith at Bay" Thompson Coe's 11th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 25, 2012
- "Social Networking Your New BFF" for Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010