- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 2001, Order of Barristers, National Trial Competition Mock Trial Finalist and Best Overall Advocate
- University of North Texas, M.Ed., 1993
- Oklahoma State University, B.S., 1989
- All State Courts Texas, 2001
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8273 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Rhonda Thompson not only defends insurance companies, adjusting firms and individual adjusters through bad faith litigation arising from the claims handling of catastrophes, but she also counsels them in effectively responding to catastrophe claims and pre-suit demands and issues. Rhonda’s representation includes advising on business income valuation disputes and appraisals both before and after an award is issued, conducting examinations under oath under residential and commercial policies, attending mediations and settlement conferences and otherwise addressing the unique coverage questions that come with adjusting property claims.
- Obtained post-appraisal federal court summary judgment on behalf of surplus lines property insurer, dismissing all contractual and extra-contractual claims after payment of the appraisal award.
- Obtained favorable rulings in relation to various plaintiffs’ motions to remand based upon the fraudulent joinder of a state, resident insurance adjuster.
- Managed catastrophe litigation docket at virtually each stage of the claims, resolution and litigation process.
- Tried Hurricane Ike lawsuit through jury verdict resulting in amicable settlement during the appeal process.
- Represented property insurers in declaratory judgment actions seeking judicial determinations related to property policy language, including effect of policyholders’ failure to comply with policy conditions.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court in favor of insurance carrier that resulting in dismissal of entire case after the property carrier paid appraisal award.
- Conducted numerous examinations under oath for insurance companies in context of residential and commercial policies involving questions of causation, fraud, amount of loss and business suspension and lost income.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court in favor of personal property insurers on the grounds that the claimant lacked standing to assert insurance code violations for failing to include general contractor’s overhead and profit in replacement cost estimates.
- Favorably resolved class action lawsuit pending in federal court against homeowners’ insurance carrier related to effect of policy suit limitations provision.
Professional and Community Activities
- Dallas Bar Association Bench Bar Conference Committee (2018 - Present)
- Dallas Bar Association Legal Ethics Committee (2018 – Present)
- DISD, Booker T. Washington High School Performing & Visual Arts Theater Conservatory Board (2016 – Present)
- Good Shepherd Episcopal School, Parent Organization Board (2017 - Present)
- State Bar of Texas (Insurance and Litigation Sections)
- Dallas Bar Association Judiciary Committee (2014 - Present)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, Premium Member
- Baylor Law School’s Top Gun National Mock Trial Competition. Scoring Judge (2013 – 2018)
Speeches and Presentations
- "Managing Millennials: Get Woke and Be Chill!", 2018 PLRB Claims Conference, April 16-18, 2018
- "Coverage Pitfalls - Three Unique Harvey Issues and How to Address Them, Thompson Coe Webinar, December 19, 2017"
- “Texas Update: Hurricane Harvey” Thompson Coe Webinar, September 5, 2017
- "Show Me the Money: Defending Against Attorneys' Fee Claims", Thompson Coe Webinar, October 25, 2016
- "Know When to Hold 'Em, Know When to Fold 'Em", 2016 CLM Atlanta Conference, May 19-20, 2016
- “Deconstructing a Repair Estimate”, 16th Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference, January 29 – 22, 2015, New Orleans
- "How to Pick Your Battlefield", UT Insurance Institute Seminar, Dallas, November 13 - 14, 2014
- "Battling for the Forum: It Matters", Thompson Coe Coverage Seminar, Dallas, October 9, 2014
- "Deconstructing A Repair Estimate", Thompson Coe Webinar, June 17, 2014
- "How to Manage Appraisal and Its Aftermath" 18th Annual Insurance Law Institute, UT School of Law and The Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, November 7, 2013
- "Corporate Depositions & Discovery: This is Our Story and We're Sticking To It" Thompson Coe's 12th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 17, 2017
- "What the Hail?: Weather and Catastrophe Claims", Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, Dallas Chapter, June 2013
- "Earth, Wind and Fire: A Forensics Insider Webinar showcasing investigations from Superstorm Sandy, attorney advice on defending catastrophe claims, and how fire distresses concrete" Webinar for Nelson Architectural Engineers, Inc., Panelist, February 13, 2013
- "Insurable Interest: What About Me?" Thompson Coe's 11th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 25, 2012
- "Policy Conditions: It Takes Two To Tango" National PLRB Conference in Nashville, Tennessee, April 4 - 6, 2011
- "The Nitty Gritty of Property Policy Conditions" 12th Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference, January 26, 2011
- 2010 Dallas All Industry Day - "Ask the Experts" Panel Presentation, November 23, 2010
- "We Just Dropped In to See What Condition Our Conditions Were In" Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- "Non-Compliance with Policy Conditions" National PLRB Conference in San Antonio, Texas, March 23 - 24, 2010
- "The Who, When, Why and How for Hiring Independent Counsel" North Texas Association of Insurance Counsel, December 4, 2009
- “Checking in on the Eight Corners Rule” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, November 6, 2008
- "So You Believe it was Arson – Now What?” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, November 7, 2007
- “Other Insurance Clauses and Their Impact on the Duty to Defend” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 8, 2005
- “The New Boundaries of the Eight Corners Rule” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 9, 2004
- “Selection of Independent Counsel” Dallas Bar Association's Tort & Insurance Practice Section, October 28, 2004
- “Overhead and Profit: When Do You Pay It?” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 11, 2003
- Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars list for 2006 - 2010.
- 2017 Best Lawyers in Dallas, Insurance Law, D Magazine